DADDY--DAUGHTER FLYFISHING DAY

DMASSE

Hey

So after my post on "Anyone want to go fishing " There waere no takers for a day of fly--float fishing on one of my fav creeks.

My 14 Year old daughter Katrina said that she would love to go fishing with me, as her school schedule wasnt a hard one today. So we decided to break in a new 7wt Loomis for her and My trusty 8Wt for me.

So we started off real early setting up our gear.

GRADANDSALMON510.jpg

Right away at the first pool, Katie noticed atleast 15 salmon and trout sitting in a tail out rapid. So she started to cast and hooked into a monster. She after 10 minutes loses it but the thrill will never be forgotten.

After about 3 other fish hooded and lost we decided to move to a deeper pool

GRADANDSALMON511.jpg

She hooked and landed a nice coho, She was freaked out trying to lift it for a pic ( girly Girl) and it escaped before I could take a pic..

On the other hand I hooked and landed 9 fish out of this pool, one of many pics

GRADANDSALMON513.jpg

At around 12 we decided to sit for a break and eat, watching fish jump a ladder when out behind us a cool animal snuck within 4ft of us. never seen anything that close to us..

GRADANDSALMON516.jpg

So after dinner we decided to drift some rapids and she hooked into her personal best Brown.

GRADANDSALMON520.jpg

GRADANDSALMON522.jpg

All in all a great day, High 20's in fish count, good DADDY--DAUGHTER time and good weather and conditions

Thanks

Dave

Nice fish, especially the brown. There's no shortage of herons around Ontario. There's a few egrets here in London mixed in with them as well. I've seen them at the Woodstock dam catch pike over 12" long and carry them off to the shore, then flip them up and swallow them. Great fishers.

Edited by Beats

Anytime ya get a 14 year old girl (these days) to say Id love to go fishing with dad..........Ya got somethin special!

(although the day off of school might have something to do with that lol) J/K. You definitely must have a great relationship for her to still be trompin around the streams with you. I just cant seem to get my 13year old niece (ive raised her like a daughter) into the fishing thing,......, she loves camping and going out on the boat,etc.......but likes the boat ride more than the fishing. And its not lack of fish, shes caught some trophy smallies this year, and is very proud when she does, gets excited and all.....but loses interest EVEN AFTER catching Big Ole Bass lol. Ah well, the most important thing is letting them be what they want to be i guess and try not to force it. 13!!.......MY GOSH!! Never thought id say that!!!!

Anytime ya get a 14 year old girl (these days) to say Id love to go fishing with dad..........Ya got somethin special!

(although the day off of school might have something to do with that lol) J/K. You definitely must have a great relationship for her to still be trompin around the streams with you. I just cant seem to get my 13year old niece (ive raised her like a daughter) into the fishing thing,......, she loves camping and going out on the boat,etc.......but likes the boat ride more than the fishing. And its not lack of fish, shes caught some trophy smallies this year, and is very proud when she does, gets excited and all.....but loses interest EVEN AFTER catching Big Ole Bass lol. Ah well, the most important thing is letting them be what they want to be i guess and try not to force it. 13!!.......MY GOSH!! Never thought id say that!!!!

My daughter is 16 now. She now starts the discussion with "so when we going fishing?" The answer is "anytime you want". She beats the shore with me or she runs the boat while I just work the troller. At times Anna just wants to catch some rays or take some neat pics ( she's done some great photo essays). I'll even let her drag along the latest 'boytoy' ( I need someone to pick on :lol: ) The best part? This is true for any parent. My kids want to be with me.

Excellent report! Great that you got out with your daughter, that's the best.

So after dinner we decided to drift some rapids and she hooked into her personal best Brown.

GRADANDSALMON520.jpg

That is one amazing brown and picture. Have to try there one day.

Thanks for posting this,

ehg

Great pics and nice brown to boot DMASSE..

But, and not to question your integrity, or your credibility..

But, how close to the spawn we're those fish???

And....

How deep and how wide is that trib??

I think it's pretty safe to say that we both know the name and particular location of that trib, and we both honestly believe that it out to be protected, because, let's face it, those fish were probably spewing eggs when they were beached.

I can't help it but chuckle everytime I see you post fish from that part of the river, when you know that the fish in that particualr trib and at this particualr time of year, outta be left alone to do their thing.

I'm really trying to keep an open mind here.. Please tell me you don't believe that lining fish with a fly rod in a foot of water is more diplomatic than say: someone doing it with marshmellows at the pier.

Can you offer a rebutle? I'd really like to hear it mang. No offence of course.

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

Fidel

IF you know the river that we were fishing then you probally know that there is a deep pool probally 10-12ft deep where that brown and alot of salmon where caught. The tail outs are always a hot spot for feeding fish, like browns and rainbows... In the afternoon we fish at the Cedar pool and the deeper pool behide the houses. Most pics are taken to protect the area with generic water in the back grounds ( usually) Where our leaders are 5 1/2 ft long and a small tippet taking us to 6- 61/2 ft, Indicators at 4ft .. All on flies and all fish released taking the time to revive... WE DONT USE 10 -15 ft leaders in hopes of linning a fish.

As a dedicated flyfisherman I dont fish redds, and dont fish a foot of water We observe the spawning fish but ALWAYS move on... I have personally seen salmon and others follow a spey fly weither they hit on hunger or aggresion who knows. We have known and fished together for for many years, and you as well as many other know how I fish and my dedication to the sport... I have passed on that spirit of fishing to my daughter, and she too will pass on the conservation spirit to hers in the future...

Dave

Great pics and nice brown to boot DMASSE..

But, and not to question your integrity, or your credibility..

But, how close to the spawn we're those fish???

And....

How deep and how wide is that trib??

I think it's pretty safe to say that we both know the name and particular location of that trib, and we both honestly believe that it out to be protected, because, let's face it, those fish were probably spewing eggs when they were beached.

I can't help it but chuckle everytime I see you post fish from that part of the river, when you know that the fish in that particualr trib and at this particualr time of year, outta be left alone to do their thing.

I'm really trying to keep an open mind here.. Please tell me you don't believe that lining fish with a fly rod in a foot of water is more diplomatic than say: someone doing it with marshmellows at the pier.

Can you offer a rebutle? I'd really like to hear it mang. No offence of course.

HD

Im sure Dave will offer his own reply, my question is when you refer to the 'Fish doing their thing',..did you mean the Nooks, Ho's, Browns or steelhead, or all of them ? as I think he mentioned all 4 species in the report. Just curious.

oops Guess I missed it by 5 min,..Excellent words Dave!!!

Edited by StoneFly

Ah I see...

But Dave, don't you think lining fish would be easier with a shorter lead versus a longer one?

And I just so we're on the same page, we are talking about the same trib yes?

Guess it's just been a long day..

Given our history though, can ya blame me?

HD

Im sure Dave will offer his own reply, my question is when you refer to the 'Fish doing their thing',..did you mean the Nooks, Ho's, Browns or steelhead, or all of them ? as I think he mentioned all 4 species in the report. Just curious.

oops Guess I missed it by 5 min,..Excellent words Dave!!!

"Fish doing their thing" includes nooks, hos, and browns.. Didn't see any bows in this one... I'm aware of the difference.

cheers

HD