Question for the police officers on the board (NF)

timmeh

Reading the post about getting off for speeding tickets and such got me thinking a little. Often when traveling to and from various fishing spots I spend a bit of time on little traveled or back roads. I admit I almost always speed but I try to keep it within reason (between 90-100 in and 80km/hr, nothing crazy). I'm sure there is no set answer and it depends on weather, amount of traffic, officers mood, etc, but at what point will a cop just let you go as opposed to pulling you over?

Sorry for the very non fishing related post, but I've always wondered this, and I'm sure other people might be curious as well.

my neighbour got of once from 3 points by showing a police officer a big bass in his trunk and telling him the location, lucky the officer was a fisherman. his partner though wasnt interested at all went to sit in the car while we were talking about fishing stuff.

my neighbour got of once from 3 points by showing a police officer a big bass in his trunk and telling him the location, lucky the officer was a fisherman. his partner though wasnt interested at all went to sit in the car while we were talking about fishing stuff.

haha thats pretty good.

Drive by a South Simcoe OPP at 15 over and see what happens :)

I notice that it's really dependent on the area you are in. OPP doesn't bother anyone during the rush hour commute that's flowing with traffic and doing a buck 30... I usually hit the 80km/h side roads at 100 or 110, haven't been pulled over yet.

I know a girl, at the time she was 17-18, and she was doing approx 150kph in a 50pkh zone.... she got pulled over, shed a tear for the cop, and was let off with a warning !!!!!!!!! hahahah

I sell farm equipment so Im driving the back roads VERY often, usually I keep it around 15-25 over the limit... when driving in town, usually 10 over !

The question I have... and Ive heard many different views..... how fast is, I guess tolerable on the 401 ? I usually drive around 120.... and Ive had no problems, some people think 115 some people say 110 ? i dunno !

I don't think there is a set rule.... I have only ever been pulled over doing 20KM + over though. I have seen others get tickets for doing as little as 12 over though. The officer said her sargeant said no free passes that night so she was writing up anything that moved LOL. (she did offer to knock the ticket down but then corrected herself and said the fine is the same up to 17KM over with no points)

I think road conditions, area, type of vehicle you are in and what kind of day the officer is having play a more important role than anything. Of course one thing every officer I have ever talked to will agree on is the fact that they don't like standing out in the freezing rain or driving sub zero winds to write the same type of ticket they would gladly hand out on a warm summer's day.

One thing that saved me more than once was, as soon as you know that the police have nailed you pull over. No need for them to take off and race after you. I met an OPP going up North one time and we met at the top of a hill and I knew right off the bat that he had clocked me. So I pulled right over, the first thing he did was to thank me for not making him take off after me. He said have a good day and slow down.

49 over, are you bragging or showing your lack of consiousness.

Transition zones, passing slower cars.....you'd be surprised how easy it is to have your car seized for a week....on your dime, no matter what the outcome of the trial. There's a reason the OPP always stake out the end of the 407 & 410, 100km/h down to a 60 zone, woohoo make the monthly quota in two weeks!

Did you even read the posts above? There is no set amount, if you want to have full peace of mind drive AT the speed limit, that's what its there for.

Ofcourse here is where I bring up the story of the guy who got ticked he was ticketed for 117km/h on the 401 out by Oshawa.....so he drove right AT the limit for a week, no matter how many vehicles he backed up behind him. Two weeks later he got an even bigger ticket for blocking the flow of traffic by driving too slow.

But hey, it's all about safety right?

I don't think there is a set rule.... I have only ever been pulled over doing 20KM + over though. I have seen others get tickets for doing as little as 12 over though. The officer said her sargeant said no free passes that night so she was writing up anything that moved LOL. (she did offer to knock the ticket down but then corrected herself and said the fine is the same up to 17KM over with no points)

I think road conditions, area, type of vehicle you are in and what kind of day the officer is having play a more important role than anything. Of course one thing every officer I have ever talked to will agree on is the fact that they don't like standing out in the freezing rain or driving sub zero winds to write the same type of ticket they would gladly hand out on a warm summer's day.

More like time of the month is the biggest factor, beginning of the month and end. Filling the quotas early so they can kick back, and scrambling to fill them with any charge they can find at the end. Rain, snow & fog is actually the best time to hit the gas, particulates screw up the radar.

Backroads you're usually pretty safe unless it's a known hotspot like the 507 or Big Chute.

I was pulled over at 49 k over recently and I was let off with a warning for the speeding, but got a ticket for having an invalid insurance slip. I was impressed!

Got to say.. that's hard to believe considering if you're 50 over they now automatically take your license and give you a $10K fine. Was this like 25 years ago? lol

I've had a few tickets when driving 90-100 in an 80 then hitting a small community and breaking AFTER the 60KM/hr sign. They nail you 20-30 over everytime. Also, most of those spots on the edges of town are community safe zones for just that and fines are increased.

When you see the sign that says 60 ahead.... slow down!!

One thing that saved me more than once was, as soon as you know that the police have nailed you pull over. No need for them to take off and race after you. I met an OPP going up North one time and we met at the top of a hill and I knew right off the bat that he had clocked me. So I pulled right over, the first thing he did was to thank me for not making him take off after me. He said have a good day and slow down.

I had that happen in Barrie a few months ago. Was driving down Essa paying no attention at all, and saw the cop running to his car. Well I knew I was busted, so I made my left turn onto Mapleview and pulled over. The cop however got a red light, so I just sat there on the side of the road with my 4 ways on until he made it through the intersection. He asked me if I was in a hurry, and I told him I just wasn't paying attention. He thanked me for pulling over so quickly and told me to have a nice day.

Heres's what really gets me... ok, so I'm old and still have some functioning brain cells, but when I started driving, everything was posted in MPH, not KPH. So, if I was doing ten miles over the speed limit, in today's world, that is almost 20 kph over the limit. 50k over the limit is really only 30mph over the limit... we are yet again getting screwed!

And I won't even comment on the 50k and over speeding law... since when did police officers become judge, jury and tow truck driver?

HH

I sent this in 'TO THE EDITOR' of The Sun today, in response to a story on Page 10: 'RACERS SLOW TO LEARN.'

Dear Sir / Ma'am:

Although I believe it was necessary to do SOMETHING drastic to get the attention of these speedsters, I also believe there are likely more than just a few who are unfairly charged & given a 'roadside trial, conviction & sentence' without ever seeing a court of law? Actual 'STREET RACING' where actual high speed 'racing' is carried out on public roadways should result in a permanent seizure of vehicle & automatic lifetime ban on driving. Speeding only, on a wide open highway, in light traffic certainly SHOULD carry heavy penalties, but to me, this is NOT 'racing!' EVERY story I see, the information given out by police departments quote how many have been caught . . . ". . . as of last week 8459 drivers have been charged under the street racing law," I've never ONCE seen any figures of how many that were charged with 'street racing' were convicted under this law. There could easily have been THOUSANDS who were charged, had to pay out a small fortune, then were found guilty of a much lesser offence? If the figures were released stating there was a 95% conviction rate, it would STILL mean over 400 drivers were unfairly charged & put through a pretty demeaning AND expensive experience, some maybe just on a cop's malicious whim? This is democracy?

Steve Herrell

North York

Just my opinion . . . what do you think?

I agree.

Big different between "racing" and "speeding".

To me, its just another Bull money making thing, and also another "power tripping" thing for the cocky cops.

My wifes friend got caught under this law......she was on a back country road at 11:30 at night (after working 16 hrs that day), with NO ONE else around.....yet she was "street racing".

I guess the cop thought she was racing her shadow..???