Car Battery question....

Crazyhook

So my ride would not start this morning. Sounded like it was going to turn over but would not.

Now it will turn over but just for 10-15 seconds and then die. I try to start it again and it goes dead. If I wait 30 minutes I can get some juice back into it but not enough to drive anywhere,.,

Battery dead?? :dunno:

any suggestions?

thanks!

Could be any number of things, I had a truck that did that once too, 97 Sonoma (sp?).

I thought that because it would start the bat. had to be ok.

Not the case, some ('of the newer') vehicles need a battery that is in good shape to simply run.

Sorry I can't help you more than that.

Entropy

spooningleads to forking

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Yay...I'm pretty.

I won a beauty contest and I won $10. Isn't that exciting. Monopoly is too kind.

Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 at 4:34 AM UTC | Comments (0)

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Puzzling!

I found this article very interesting. I knew that there are a lot of artifacts that archaeologists uncover all of the time and it takes scholars years to decipher and figure out their meanings. But, I didn't realize that there are so many mind-blogging artifacts that still are baffling scholars to this day and that they defy all known information about the past.

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 at 10:20 PM UTC | Comments (0)

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Almost 2007

Last post of the year! I work from noon to 5pm today, which sucks. Then, Bree and Rusty are coming over and the we are all having dinner before we head over to Rusty's parents' house to ring in the New Year. That should be fun, yes? Honestly, I have no idea. I'm probably going to be bored out of my mind. Oh well. *shrugs*

I have so much laundry to do. Frank keeps telling me that it is bad luck to start the New Year with dirty

www.deadbattery.com

I see nothing about deadbattery ??

lol

Edited by Entropy

Sounds like it might be an alternator to me ... that would be why your battery is not charging .. could also be a toasted battery (sometimes when the battery goes flat it damages the cells) ... will it start with a jump ? If so .. does it die shortly afterward ?

That happened to my brother van just last week Thursday!! The thing wouldn't turn over. After a few tries its dies. Then he hooks up the Canadian Tire Eliminator Booster Pac to the battery and it starts fine. But after he disconnects the booster pack while the van is running , things were still ok. Until he drove it a few feet and the van died again. So we got a new battery and it is working fine now.

dsn

DSN... I got 6 houses down and it died. She is sounding sick...it will turn over for about 10 seconds then die then there will be no power to start it again. If I wait 30 minutes it gets a small amount of juice...

It would not run after we boosted it either. The stereo and everythign work ... hmm the saga continues

on a good note I can get some Canadian tire money to out towards some new crank baits or something

You saying it wouldn't run while the boosting vehicle/pack was still on it...or after you disconnected Jamie. If still on it's a fuel issue.

What I liked about old Dodges...you could pull the battery and they still ran! GM's on the other hand...lol

What's the vehicle?

Just from what i see here that if the vehicle started and ran then quit it appears to be an alternator not charging. Fuel pumps will "USUALLY" continue to run once the vehicle is running. And with the no crank/slow crank it suggests the battery is dead. Check to make sure the belt is tight on the pulleys too. Sometimes belt tensioners go bad and the belt slips on the alternator pulley. Let me know if I can assist you more.

CT will rip you off. They charge way too much.

Sometimes we're in a hurry and have no choice.

I have a CT very close to home, so I know there are mechanics available 7 days a week

and just a stone's throw away.

Hope it's nothing major CH.

Let us know what happens.

Guess I got here too late for my 2 cents. We've had problems with rust on the battery leads that lead to intermittent problems. We just cleaned the rust off and it worked great.

I used to subscribe to CT's equivalent of CAA, which gives you the towing service, etc, but there is a clause where if you have your vehicle towed to CT, it doesn't affect the kilometrage.

Once it was a fuel pump. CT charged me $550. some odd dollars. My friends said I was ripped on that one.

Another time I had them replace an alternator, cost was around $350.00. I had a similar alternator replaced on another car at a privately owned shop for $136.00, labour included.

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee and the first time the battery got drained I reboosted too no avail. After boosting it a few times and then having it die right away, I called my mechanic.

He told me that my car sometimes needs to "learn" how to stay idle again, after the battery is disconnected or drained completely - something to do with the computer.

So I was told to keep my foot on the gas after it is boosted and then without letting off the gas (where the idle would not drop below 1000 RPM), drive it around the block and after a hundred feet or more, then let off on the gas.

So off I went, skeptical of the suggestion keeping my foot on the gas and occassionally using the brake with the other foot to slow down, I finally let go of the gas after half way around and low and behold, the car stayed running.

True story and it has happened to me a few times - son tends to play with the interior lights alot and many times I have gone to bed only to wake up with a dead battery.

This is a bit more difficult to contend with if you are alone, -- you have to disconnect the boost while keeping your foot on the gas - so now I carry a piece of stick at an appropriaate length that allows me to wedge the gas while I disconnect the booster pack.

Strange but true..

Edited by fisher

Yep..you're right on there fisher....where were ya yesterday? LOL My '90 Ford Supercoupe is that way..and suspect many computer controlled cars are these days. They need to self reset the idle speed and will die if you take your foot off the pedal.

Edited by irishfield

Most, if not all vehicles built today must go through a "drive cycle". After the battery is disconnected or ECU(computer) is reset. There are certain procedures that must be followed after a reset, some can take 40 minutes to properly attain after repairing or replacing parts. Thats part of the importance of having the proper information when working on or repairing todays vehicles.

BTW, what was wrong with the vehicle?

Edited by Nipissing

228 was the damage...

not too bad, very lose belt that was damaged and had to be replaced and my alarm wiring had to b fixed

could of been worse. thanks everyone for your suggestions

Like to Tow truck guy said " cars act up when its +30 and - 30"