Canal Lake Kirkfield

fisher

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions about Lagoon City, Lake Simcoe. We are also thinking about renting a cottage on Canal Lake near Kirkfield. I think we have narrowed down our search to these two areas. :thumbsup_anim:

I like Lake Simcoe because of the variety of species, but don;t like the big lake and the waves that come with the wind :( . Canal Lake is a much smaller lake, with a less likelyhood of losing a days fishing because of wind.

Does anyone know the kind of fishing we could expect at Canal Lake in mid-July-- ie species, general structure of the lake, any particular area of the lake that I should visit while there, etc,,,? I understand there are some pike in this lake :thumbsup_anim: ? - my dad and I enjoy catching Pike and have not caught one in a couple of year since we went to French River.

As alaways, thanks,

Fisher.

canal is a shallow, manmade lake, about 1/3 to 1/2 of it is a product of the locks on the trent system.

lots of small pike in this lake and some alright largemouth bass. i've also caught a few decent smallies as well but nothing like you'll get on simcoe. there are also walleye in canal but they are few and far between.

it is an alright alternative to simcoe but there are many kawartha lakes that are waaaaay better fisheries, within 1 to 2 hours of canal.

It's been a few years at least since I last fished Canal Lake, but about 15 years ago there was a decent LM Bass fishery, that has gone way down since pike and crappie showed up there. As Darcy mentioned there are some walleye there but they tend hard to locate. There is also Muskie in the lake (as I remember being on a boat when my friend landed a 47" on his 8lb trilene with no leader!!). I can't say I've heard many other muskie catches from there in the past 10 years.

Spinner baits work great there, I've caught many pike and crappie there with bass sized spinner baits. Yes, the crappie slammed the spinner bait and even got airborn!

Anyways, good luck, Canal lake tend to get much less waves due to the shape and direction of normal winds.

HF

lots of small pike

the bass fishing can be good

some small mouth if you know where to look

crappie fishing can be real good too

and most times I limit out on walleye pretty quick

they are not big but they are there

and always a chance of getting a big muskie

I fished Canal a bunch of times last year, and it was the same results every time. Throw spinnerbaits literally in the middle of the lake, catch a mix of pike and bass. Throw soft plastics, catch a mix of pike and bass. Fish up shallow, catch a mix of pike and bass. Those are your two main species.

Went there twice last summer, the first time it was windy, due to it being so shallow it gets rough quickly ( actually had a couple waves break over the bow of the boat when coming out onto the west side of the bridge. I bogged down more than once on the ample weed growth that comes with it being shallow.

The second time I went it was windy again, didn't even bother putting the boat in the water.

Is the west part better (less weeds and deeper) than the east?

Entropy