Fresh Run

StoneFly

I couldnt believe how stained the water still was from last weekends rain, still fishable though, Fresh Run of nooks showed me a good time this morning. Smashing eggs like Steelhead.

Download-Sept-20-08003.jpg

The Release, Like a torpedo after a little revival.

Download-Sept-20-08005.jpg

Alot of these little guys around in the 6-10" range, nice to see for the future,....

Download-Sept-20-08011.jpg

Edited by StoneFly

This run was a fresh one and the I beleive the first this area has seen this year for nooks as i have scouted it, as well as evidenced by the amount of rainbow smolts hittin flys and roe every second drift,...lol,...what i noticed different about this year in september is the lack of chub, not a single one today, but about 25 x 6-8" rainbow smolts in 1.5 hrs. (and 2/3 on the nooks all clean and not a single snag and not a soul in site)...

Anyone have any idea why a fresh run of salmon at this time of year would also see so many rainbow smolts (which is great) ... and no chub ? In the past in this locale it was usually 1 for 1 for bow smolts and chubs when the salmon first arrive? I mean, no chubs is great,..but it is better or worse for the river ?

I found last week that I was getting into a lot of smaller rainbow smolts like that and it was getting to the point of irritating. Switched up to a pink worm in the faster water and started hitting 15"-20" like no tomorrow. Not only was it great fun but it also seemed like there was a REALLY healthy number of bows in the river