ICE fishing -- baitcast or spinning?

johnnyb

Spinning or Baitcaster  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Spinning

• Lake Trout

So, I know it's really warm out and we have what looks like a fantastic fall fishing season shaping up....but soon there will be a portion of my evenings spent prepping the ice gear. More importantly, I could end up being on the market for a new reel, so the more time I have to shop, the better.

HERE's the question: When ice-fishing...we're talking about the jigging rod here...do you prefer a spinning reel or baitcaster on your rod?

whoops, I screwed up on that post...hit enter too soon and wrecked the poll!

Ok, so forget the poll....spinning or baitcaster?

Edited by johnnyb

hey johnny,

i dont think its too early to think about icefishing....personally i cant hardly wait to walk out on the ice! Anyway.....i have never used a baitcaster before so i would have to say spinning reel...lol. I do however prefer rear drag systems, especially on the ice where my usual target is large lake trout and whitefish. I like to leave the rear drag setting on its lowest setting which has the effect of freespool...so when the trout hits it can take line.....the ratchet whizzing off line is my bite indicator (love that noise!) and because i tend to use circle hooks on my dropper line set ups, you just pick up the rod without spooking the fish, gradually tighten the drag....the circle hooks set themselves....and there ya have it , trout for supper. As its not uncommon for me to be out there in -40 degrees C (i cnt afford an ice shelter yet either :santa: ) trying to adjust drag is easier with rear drag when wearing 10 pairs of arctic gloves....lol.

CANT WAIT TO DO SOME OF THIS

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/MVI_0233.flv">

MY FAVOURITE "DROPPER LINE' SET UP

dsc01917.jpg

Tanks for posting this topic.......cant wait!

Edited by limeyangler

I know that this reply is not what you had ask but this is the setup that I use down in my area.

I use tip-ups that I make myself rigged with spools. Here a couple of pics of the top

i247014104_39096_2.jpg

i247014105_26819_2.jpg

Here a pic of the top and bottom

i247014103_44019_2.jpg

You can ajust tension on the reel and sensitivity on the top by moving the nail up or down B)

This model is my latest creation :D

and to answer your question, I have a jigging rod with a spinning reel but don't use often. I prefer this setup.

Leechman

I like this lil invention myself........spring loaded with 2 settings,one for light bites, one for heavier bites.....get a nibble it springs back like a moustrap.

Thought I would share seeing as there where some good homemade ideas on the table....here is mine :Gonefishing:

I gave this one away as a prize last season

Edited by jwl