Injection oil Question!

walleyemen

Oils have become additive soups. They will have chemicals added to target specific lubrication issues in engines. Be very careful what you use. They must have the proper rating for your engine. Viscosity (thickness) and burnoff (no carbon deposits) capability are part of it. 4 stroke engines will also have specific oil ratings.

As FISHERMAN has mentioned if it meets or exceeds the required specs that is all you need to know. I have been using Walmart brand (Super Tech) for many years now because it meets or exceeds my specs for less than half the price of Johnson oil. I have seen NO difference in over 10 years of use :)

Direct word from Mercury: *OptiMax Oil is ONLY for use with OptiMax Outboard engines and is NOT approved for use with EFI or Carbureted engines manufactured by Mercury Marine, nor is it recommended for use with engines from another manufacturer.

That being said, the OptiMax oil is formulated to lubricate the bottom end under different conditions than a regular carb or FI motor. A direct fuel injection engine does not mix oil with fuel so the aditive package will be different.

That being said why not run a full synthetic blend with compatible specs? It will most likely be cheaper to buy per gallon than OptiMax anyways.