Furnace (NF)

dannyboy

Just got a call from my wife, we had the furnace inspected this morning and the plenum is cracked.

It is a cheap unit about 8 years old, parts impossible to get, not worth fixing.

We live in the Niagara area in the country, no natural gas available, currently use oil for heating, no A/C.

Our house is a 1200 sq ft brick bungalow about 30 years old.

Any advice as to; brand, whether to switch to propane (the oil tank is full of course and was new 8 years ago), where to get a decent deal would be great.

Thanks

Dan

First get them to show you where its cracked.

They reject ours every year because its real old but then can't find anything wrong with it even the efficiency test checks out.

Believe it or not you might want to check out going electric as they have them more efficient than the old heaters and are competitive again.

Dan depending on how large the crack is you may be able to have it welded to last long enough to use up the oil and decide what you want to do. The question is; are there gasses such as carbon monoxide entering the house? All methods of heating have their pros and cons but long term I prefer propane but you have to factor in the tank.

I just got a new courier .. real happy with it .... quiet and efficient,.. but the old 'cracked' thing is a gotcha that apparantly is an industry wide sales tool .... in any case if you gotta replace it ... (and better safe than sorry) might as well go with a well known brand ...

I have natural gas but have been heating with a wood stove for about 5 years now. It's a LOT of work but really pays off with temps between 70-74 degrees without even trying. I get 6 cords of wood each year at $50 per cord but I have to haul it in. So what I pay for a total yearly supply of wood others are paying each month for gas. You should consider a wood burner if your young enough to do the work. It also is the only heat source that will not strand you in the cold with a power outage.

I heard just today that natural gas will be 40% higher and oil heating is going to double this year. If it wasn't for that I would use the furnace a lot more as I am getting older and it's harder each year hauling wood into the house everyday.

Electric will always be the most efficient but that doesn't make it the most affordable.

Just got a call from my wife, we had the furnace inspected this morning and the plenum is cracked.

It is a cheap unit about 8 years old, parts impossible to get, not worth fixing.

Dan

PM me with the details of the furnace - Manufacturer / Brand, Model Number and Serial Number. It is likely the Heat Exchanger that is cracked and I can look into getting you one under warranty (most if not all have a 20 year or lifetime warranty). You would have to pay someone to install it (usually 2 or 3 hours labour) - there are some brands that have gone boobs up but I would hazard a very good educated guess that you can still get the parts.

,.. but the old 'cracked' thing is a gotcha that apparantly is an industry wide sales tool ....

Camillj - it is not necessarily an "industry wide" sales tool - but it is prevelant enough to be sceptucal. Especially when the service tech says "not available" or "too expensive".

As said in previous post, let me know the details and I will see what I can do for you Dan.

If he told you that your plenum is cracked, he has no credibility whatsoever. It's virtually impossible to have a cracked plenum. And if by the fluke of God you did have a cracked plenum, there would be absolutely no reason to buy a new furnace. The plenum is part of your duct system. It has nothing to do with your furnace at all. Get another opinion or three.

.........I second that opinion on the plenum???? If it is pooched, look into a "heatmor" unit. It's a wood furnace that runs through your existing duct work, yet the unit is outside and large enough to fill after dinner and good till morning. Not cheap, but according to a couple friends with one it is worthwhile. Also cleaner and easier than hauling your wood indoors. Good luck!

I have a "Goodman" gas furnace installed 2 years ago and am quite happy. (touch wood)

Thanks for the advice.

There is definitely a crack about 4" long, when you fire up the furnace you can see a glow through the crack right beside a weld.

We are looking into warranty but the furnace guy thinks the manufacturer is out of business.

Plenum was my choice of word, different nomenclature between a furnace and an engine I guess.

The furnace technician removed the unit from service as I expect any professional would.

Thanks Steve I will get the details on the unit.

Thanks again

Dan