I'm sick (NF)

Tarzan's Jane

was just at the walk-in yesterday for sore throat,fever and sinus congestion.turns out I have a sinus infection,bronchitis and possible strept throat.I was ordered off work for a couple days and given antibiotics. I would get it looked at if I were you as it seems to be going around.hope you feel better.

was just at the walk-in yesterday for sore throat,fever and sinus congestion.turns out I have a sinus infection,bronchitis and possible strept throat.I was ordered off work for a couple days and given antibiotics. I would get it looked at if I were you as it seems to be going around.hope you feel better.

Ordered off work? I think your recovery would speed up in fresh air....perhaps sitting in a boat :whistling:

Hope you BOTH are feeling better soon!

Starve a fever...feed a cold.

Lots of fluid and bed rest. Keep and eye ont eh back of your throat. If its strep you will get white blotches that look like hell early on. Then it goes red and you stay sick. you have to goto the doctor for strep or get into more trouble later on.

Go to the drug store and get some vit D and C. Both are instumental for the immune system. If you go ill tell you how much to take.

-Dr. R-

....Isn't that the same thing?

Starve a fever, hope you feel better soon. Sore throats and flus have already been through my house. :(

hahaha....why yes it is the same thing...it was early and I was hurting. :) I was basically told to go home..

Anyway...I am hungry, so I'm eating...then a little doh doh.

Thanks everyone...hope no one else gets this...especially the Lakair crew!!

To answer your question it's actually neither.

Feed a cold & starve a fever is the old wives tale.

Like many others, this one has some physiologic basis with a tiny little bit of evidence showing this may have somebenefit wrt to different immune modulator stimulants. But there are still questions if it actually makes you feel better (symptom relief).

Either way, your history is too small to say one way or the other. Could be a simple cold but could also be something that needs MD tx like strep or mono.

Great thing about Canada is good fishin & free doctorin. Even if you have to wait a little for both.

If your sore throat persists for more than 5 or 6 days you really should go see if it is strep or not. The infection if you have it can spread to other areas after your throat feels better and do some real damage.... The only thing that will get rid of strep safely is a full course of anitbiotics.

I find the hardest thing about having a sore throat is getting to sleep. Here is an old home rememdy that works for everyone who is brave enough to try it. Take a large glass of coke heat it in the mircowave, until it is really hot (it will probably boil though). Pop two tylenol cold and flu sip the warm coke and go to bed for 10 HOURS you will sleep like a baby and wake up able to handle the day.... (worse case senario is that you start liking warmed up coke LOL.)

Sore throat ... instant remedy .... and move the cold/flu to its next stage (without passing go) ... is to gargle with a half glass of warm water with 4 tablespoons of salt in it ... DONT SWALLOW ! ... spit it out .. sore throat which otherwise drags on ... goes bye-bye in a few minutes .... and then the nasty next stage (whatever that is) comes but it sure beats messing around for a couple of days with lozenges etc ... NEVER fails .... oh and I concur with the Neocitran/rye .... but I add a spoon of honey and tuck right into bed :) ....then get up early and go fishin ... nothin cures a cold like a day on the water :)

Trusted by good doctors and better nurses...

A very commonly used book http://www.mumshealth.com/ by GP's, NP's and RNEC's lists criteria to aptly score viral versus bacterial infections of the throat.

Streptococcal Score Validated in Adults and Children

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptoms Points

Fever (subjective or measured in office 38C +) 1

Absence of cough 1

Tender anterior cervical adenopathy 1

Tonsillar swelling or exudates 1

Younger than 15 years +1

15 to 45 years 0

Older than 45 years -1

SCORING:

0 or -1 points: streptococcal infection ruled out (2 percent)

1 to 3 points: order rapid test (throat swab) and treat accordingly to result

4 to 5 points: probable streptococcal infection (52 percent positive for strep on swab), consider empiric antibiotics.

Couple other points of interest. If you have a cold, cough and congestion, your throat likely requires no antibiotic. If you have the "tickle" that cause that nagging cough and resultants sore throat, your infected throat very likely requires no antibiotic. Acute redness (like a stop sign) of the oropharynx and/or tonsils, especially with localized edema in that area, no cold symptoms, a feeling of death warmed over and a score of 4+ and you very well could have Strep throat.

Trusted by good doctors and better nurses...

A very commonly used book http://www.mumshealth.com/ by GP's, NP's and RNEC's lists criteria to aptly score viral versus bacterial infections of the throat.

Streptococcal Score Validated in Adults and Children

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptoms Points

Fever (subjective or measured in office 38C +) 1

Absence of cough 1

Tender anterior cervical adenopathy 1

Tonsillar swelling or exudates 1

Younger than 15 years +1

15 to 45 years 0

Older than 45 years -1

SCORING:

0 or -1 points: streptococcal infection ruled out (2 percent)

1 to 3 points: order rapid test (throat swab) and treat accordingly to result

4 to 5 points: probable streptococcal infection (52 percent positive for strep on swab), consider empiric antibiotics.

Couple other points of interest. If you have a cold, cough and congestion, your throat likely requires no antibiotic. If you have the "tickle" that cause that nagging cough and resultants sore throat, your infected throat very likely requires no antibiotic. Acute redness (like a stop sign) of the oropharynx and/or tonsils, especially with localized edema in that area, no cold symptoms, a feeling of death warmed over and a score of 4+ and you very well could have Strep throat.

Thanks for the report Andrew but I prefer when you have those great pics in there.

Ha Ha Roy.

This report was a simple cut and paste. But here's some pics for ya...

A little bacterial pharyngitis...

art-m5649.fig1.jpg

074.jpg

And a wee bit of viral...

800px-Pharyngitis.jpg

2936.jpg

That's just plain nasty...you had to ask eh Roy!!!

Can't say my throat is looking anything like any of those....interesting though the other info you gave...ain't coughing, but now I want to. haha

Thanks everyone...I am feeling a bit better.

Edited by twilight

Is it "feed a fever and starve a cold" or "starve a cold and feed a fever".

I have a wicked sore throat and fever. Was home yesterday, going to work today but will no doubt leave early.

Hope your feeling better...you posted 2 days ago!

Its an old wives tale.

Keep your strength up: Feed both a cold and fever.

forrest