Do you trust Lake O salmon?

chickenhawk

Here's the thing, my step mom went on a fishing charter yesterday out on Lake Ontario......and she ended up catching a big chinny pure silver and everyone else caught trout.....well seeing as she LOVES salmon she wanted to keep it.....now heres my question......I myself don't eat the fish I catch out of Lake Ontario especially the salmon....should she eat this thing? or should I get rid of it? What do you guys think?

Hawk

Been eating them for over 20 years without any ill effects.

Answer yourself this question. How safe is the BEEF or PORK you eat ? ? ? Of course you will think GOOD because they both have lobbiest that want you to think that. HOWEVER, everyday people are suffering and being hospitalized from ill effects of eating red meat. But you don't have WARING labels on those products do you ? ? ? WHY ! ! !

I will take any salmon, trout, perch or walleye from Lake Ontario or Lake Erie that anyone thinks is unsafe to consume.

Now think again, where are the salmon caught that are being sold world wide........... It's anyone's guess most times. ANY fish or other foods now possess continents because of our environment these days........ many of our crops are watered with Great Lakes water........... need I continue ... :<(

Everything in moderation. I mean, look at the numbers of ppl out there catching and eating fish from any body of water. If the fish looks good and the fillets look ok then I would say a single fish/meal wouldn't do any harm. But if you strongly feel you shouldn't eat it, then by all means don't.

It all depends on an individual's risk factor and the specific chemical cocktail present. Keep in mind that toxins can be stored in our own bodies for years and carcinogens other nasties can be absorbed from a variety of sources from air pollution, that water you drink, plastics, processed food, that bottle of pop, even the shampoo you use even that Lake O shower:0

Would I partake in a LO dinner? No not really and I cannot recommend it ether.

You didn't say what size this fish was - but anything in moderation "should" be ok. Consult the guide (Terry provided the link).

I have a few fillets in my freezer right now but like some others have said prefer the smaller ones.

I've caught 5 lake Ontario salmon and two of them were horribly deformed. I wouldn't eat them.

3877bronte2.jpg

Heh, that's an accident from the hatchery when it was just a little guy.........now the 20lb hen I caught with two mouths and deformed eggs, that's another story.....

Okay, have you ever eaten at MacDonald's? Lake O salmon are safer.

Now the flavour is a totally different topic.......alewife fed fish don't taste that great. White, oily, greasy fillets. The smaller guys are still targetting invertebrates, and have nice pink tasty meat. But the big alewife stuffed kings......not so great.

Have you ever planked fish on the bbq? Smoking them is the best, gets all the grease out, but planked Lake O salmon isn't bad.

However you cook it, lose most of the belly and only cook the thick back part. Most of the fillet below the lateral line is stored fat for their run up the tribs, not so great.

And any wild caught fish beats whatever processed garbage you'd otherwise eat.

Heh, that's an accident from the hatchery when it was just a little guy.........now the 20lb hen I caught with two mouths and deformed eggs, that's another story.....

That is not actually true. The pictured fish has WHIRLING DISEASE. Whirling disease is a parasite that causes the deformed apperence of the fish. It can in some cases kill the fish. Most often the fish are stocked. I have caught Rainbows in Gbay with it.

lots more info on the net.

Ryan

Nothing wrong with eating that fish. Just make sure you lose the belly fat. Lake O salmon are much safer that 90% of the fish we buy. You wouldn't believe how much crap is in Tuna, swordfish, etc. Enjoy that Lake O salmon with your mom and feel good about it.