Upper French River Report

steve_paul

Got up to my Aunt's cottage last week for the last time this year :(

Was a combination work / fishing week of holidays with lots of deck building projects to complete. Got 3 done for her around the cottage with a bit more to complete next spring

gallery_67_323_47534.jpg

gallery_67_323_25476.jpg

gallery_67_323_31867.jpg

Moved alot of wood but will make moving around the cottage easier for Aunt as well as much more area to sit and enjoy the views.

Dogs supervised our work throughout the week

med_gallery_67_323_61160.jpg

Made plans to meet up with Rich Clemens and his wife Patsy for a day fishing as he was up at Wolseley Bay for the week as well. Plan was to meet up on the Tuesday for some fishing. We left St. Thomas on the Friday night and decided to just stay in Parry Sound for the night rather than arrive sometime in the middle of the night over to the island. Sitting outside the hotel room having a beer that night, lo and behold in pull Rich and Patsy with their dogs Emma and Kia. Went over to introduce ourselves and sat around that night just chatting and relaxing after the long drives. We met up on Saturday Morning for breakfast and then both got on our way to the River. Met up Tuesday morning as planned and did some fishing around our island - we were able (well, actually they were able) to get into a few fish. I, well, umm, was skunked. So much for home water advantage.

med_gallery_67_323_51160.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_26244.jpg

Rich and Patsy, it was great meeting you (twice) and I had a great time out there fishing with you. Next year, hopefully we can coordinate it and I will swing down to Wolseley when you are there. Sorry too for the bad habit that Harley taught Kia - hope that went away. He is really in withdrawal this week without your dogs and Maggie around.

Rest of the week, fishing was very slow. Was great being out on the water but that is the extent of it - lots of skunks, followed by another generous dose of skunk. The last night we were up, finally did get into some fish so all was not lost.

med_gallery_67_323_11210.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_19802.jpg

Was a good week, good way to end the summer up there. Now just have to wait patiently for next May to arrive to get back up there.

med_gallery_67_323_67884.jpg

You did a great job Steve but I think you missed a nail or two so perhaps you should check the work just to be safe... say thanksgiving weekend ;)

My hand is still cramped from screwing in all those deck boards. Between the 3 of there building the decks, I don't think any of us want to see any more PT wood for a long time.

Now going up to just inspect it is an interesting idea, been thinking about it, just not sure what is up yet for Thanksgiving.

It was really a freaky thing to "just happen" to wind up at the same motel Friday night. Had our usual stopping point not have been booked full, we'd not have had the chance to meet and great for a couple hours that Friday night. Had a great time sharing part of the day with you all. Don't tell anyone, but that pike is all Patsy landed during the two weeks we were on the French ... save for a little Blue Gill on a jig. Hope to put my my wee bit of a report in the coming days. Thanks again for being such a gracious host and for your family ... nice little BBQ to finish things off.

Edited by Rich Clemens