st. marys report

pikeie

well yesterday i had a nice susprise, my first class for today got cancelled so that ment no school untill 2:30pm :thumbsup_anim:

so i decided that i might aswell go fishin lol

caught the bus to the hydro dam area and walked to the rapids from there. i get to the general area and look out to see 6-7 guys fishing. not to bad lots of room for me to fish. i wade across the first part to the breakwall and i look up 3 out of the 6 guys have fish on! i got really excited knowing that there were lots of pinks. my first spot i go to im throwing a pink and orange rabbit strip egg sucking leach. on my third cast (only have to cast out 20-30 feet to get to the fish) i see a big school of 70-80 fish swim right past my fly then one turns around and bang fish on! only 10 minutes into the morning. i thought i tired out this fish which turned out to be a very large male pink about 5-6 lbs but when i went to grab it he took off and hit some heavy current the current was so strong he almost took me into my backing :lol: and then managed to snap me off.

i tryed there for a little while longer before i decided to move down stream a bit. saw lots being caught on roe but i only had my fly rod and no egg patterns were working. i started talking to an older gentleman and he took a look through my fly box he was very susprised how well i tied my flys lol. anyways he picked out a purple and pink egg sucking leach and told me to tie it on. second cast my indicator stops and starts moving up stream. so after a nice fight i got my first pink landed on a fly. she was a hen about 3 lbs.

a few casts later i hook into another one but he was quite a bit bigger and pulled really well. i eventuly landed him he was a nice size male about 4 lbs. i thanked the gentleman and he was on his way after i gave him a few of my many egg sucking leaches lol. in the next half hour i missed so many hits i couldnt explain it lol finally i hooked up agian and landed another female about 3.5 or 4 lbs.

i wish i had a camera so i could show u guys these fish. they all had beautiful markings and all put up a great fight on my 6 weight.

good going on the fish...someof those humpies are pretty cool looking for sure, thanks for the tease guys, brings back great memories of when I lived in the Soo, and fished that area alot, tonnes of pink, some good Chinooks in the mix, we would even get the odd pike near the locks this time of year....sometimes would cross over the dam just to look down and check out the fish in the water saw some of the hugest whitefish I ever saw there once.