Pike Handling Help

Governator

Hey Guys,

I'm new to pike fishing and a little intimiated by their jaws. I feel like I need to either gain some confidence and learn how to grip them from their gills or purchase a fishing glove like the Lindy Fish Gloves: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s..._-1_10001_38705

Describing how to hold pike doesn't seem to help much but if I can just see a couple upclose shots I think I would learn quick.

Does anyone have any upclose photos I could look at?

Cheers

Gov

Hey there....for smaller pike, I grab it behing the gill plates. Applying pressure behind there when handling causes them to stop thrashing around.....

20acliffpike.jpg

For bigger pike, I slip my hand inside the gill plate and then support the body with my other hand.

gallery_60_23_14987.jpg

Lew posted this pic (it's a musky), a good way to safely hold those esox monsters....

Cnv0543.jpg

Hey there....for smaller pike, I grab it behing the gill plates. Applying pressure behind there when handling causes them to stop thrashing around.....

20acliffpike.jpg

Thank you so much ccmt. Almost all of the pike I've been catching have been under 24" (dozens of them). They have so much energy and thrash sooo much I've been a little afraid to go near their mouth. I think grabbing it behind the gills like that would be totally the best way to handle them. I usually just get some needle nose pliars and have been able to unhook them with just their heads out of the water.

Would a glove still help for gripping them to start? They tend to jump so much that it looks like they'd slide right out of my hands. (I mostly worry because we only have a small zodiac boat, a tooth in the side of that thing would send me swimming back to shore lol)

Edited by Governator

Thank you so much ccmt. Almost all of the pike I've been catching have been under 24" (dozens of them). They have so much energy and thrash sooo much I've been a little afraid to go near their mouth. I think grabbing it behind the gills like that would be totally the best way to handle them. I usually just get some needle nose pliars and have been able to unhook them with just their heads out of the water.

Would a glove still help for gripping them to start? They tend to jump so much that it looks like they'd slide right out of my hands. (I mostly worry because we only have a small zodiac boat, a tooth in the side of that thing would send me swimming back to shore lol)

When you apply the pressure behind the gill plate, it causes them to stop thrashing around completely...it's like it paralyzes them in a way. If you can't get your hand around them, then it's hold inside the gill plate...just be careful and don't put your fingers too close to their teeth....or this could happen.....LOL....this one was a painful reminder....I still have a scar and the pike did that to me back in Jan 07.

gallery_60_23_25971.jpg

Edited by ccmt

LOL.... My buddy's finger looked like a few weeks ago from a little pike. Hence why are we both a little cautious now and thought I better ask for some advice. My wife is going away this weekend so I'm planning on fishing all 3 days as the weather is shaping up nicely. Can't wait!! Might go golfing instead on friday, we'll see... I cherish these freedom weekends lol.