First Musky

SteveH

This is my first post on this forum. The occasion is my first Musky. Last Sunday morning on Stony Lake. A nice thick 41". Casting a black bucktail with a silver blade over a 9' week bed. I've caught pike this size and other bigger fish but this was without a doubt the most exciting fight. I saw the fish inhale the bucktail and it cleared the water twice, once right beside the boat. I was alone so I had to keep the boat off the rocks, fight the fish with one arm and net with the other. (Any advice on solo fishing is appreciated.)

The release was tough, though. It had inhaled the bucktail's back set of trebles deep into its gills. It was already bleeding so I didn't want to fumble around near the gills cutting hooks so I decided to pull the lure back through the gills. This worked well since I had pinched down the barbs on all my treble hooks. It took a long time to revive the fish but it finally swam off.

Sorry, no pictures. I had a camera in my pocket but I didn't want to stress the fish trying to figure out how to take a picture on my own. (Any advice on this is also appreciated.)

And then, of course, I spent the next 4 mornings flailing away without so much as a follow. Humbling. And a good reminder that I have a lot to learn. But, I have my first. And, I got to tell you all about it. Thanks for reading. Maybe it reminded you of your first.

Welcome to the board Steve and congrats on getting your first Musky...41" eh...Nice!!! I also boated my first this year, smaller fish but will always be remembered.

I have not made many solo trips in the boat so I haven't much advice to offer.....for pictures, some of the others here use camera mounts, I am sure someone will chime in.

Congrats again!!

Great post, congrats and welcome!

It's unfortunate that you didn't get a picture of your first muskie but maybe you'll have a chance to catch it again!

Solo fishing is tough - the only thing I can say is to have everything ready and within reach when the opportunity of a photo presents itself. A very large pen net would make landing easier and allows the fish to revive in the water while you get your camara and snap an in-water shot.

-Brian

Congrats on your first 'ski, and at 41" to boot.

I do some solo fishing now and again. Preperation when out on your own is key! Not only must you ensure you have all the proper release tools, but more importantly, they should all be in easy access. I'll have the pliers and hook cutters in my pocket. Net, not blocked or tangled with any other objects.

For pics, take a couple testers with time delay before you head out so you can figure out where to stand on the boat with your catch. You could have a mount, but I just rest the camera on the consol or on top of my tackle box.

Thanks for the great welcome, everyone. It's feels good to tell a fishing story to an appreciative audience.

I plan to thrash the waters of Stony (or is it Stoney?) with oversized lures sometime in October. Maybe I'll fool something large and toothy and have something new to report.

Way to go Steve.I just got my first last weekend on Balsam so I know how it feels to be pumped up and raring for the next.You think it's going to happen again as soon as that magic lure hits the water.Half hour later and the shoulder and arm is aching from burning that spinner and you realize they're gonna hit when they want and not when you want.Anyway welcome to the board and again congrats on your first.

Kerry