Fishing "tea stained" lakes

turtle

I am doing a fly-in moose trip around thanksgiving and will be on a tea stained lake with sm bass and pike in it. I fished a tea stained lake before for walleye and the best baits were lead head jigs and twistertails in orange, white, yellow and chartreuse.

I am thinking along the same lines for colours for the bass and upsizing for the pike with some inline spinners and crank baits. The water will probably be colder as well. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I find that with tea stained waters, baits on the more yellow side of the spectrum work well, and if you drop a bait in the water and watch it sink, you will see that you will be able to keep viz on your bait for longer than bait that are on the white end of the spectrum.

yellows/chartreusese/firetiger/green/gold,brass kind of colours for spoons and spinner blades

if fishing colder waters and you want to slow down your approach, if using spinner baits for example for pike..add a twister trailer and also stick to baits around 1/4 oz this way you can retrieve your bait slower and it won't sink too much on you...aslo don't overlook suspending baits for cold water pike, they work crusher, if you find the bite is pretty slow on lures, try some jigging for sure..I like 6 inch twisters for pike fishing..hungry bass gobble them up too :Gonefishing:

Look for a river that empties into the lake for great action.

Firetiger,gold,fluo red,copper & black are good colours that give contrast to the brown stain.

Fallen timber & broken rock will hold minnows & craws. Points are usually good with a current from winds.