Anyone Fish the French River In October?

bigcreekdad

After two pretty mediocre (at best) trips to the French, I'm thinking about another short trip in early October. I've never been up there that late and wonder about how the fishing might be that late(for me anyway) in the season. I know most weeds will have died off, but have no idea if a turnover comes on that early and what that might mean.

My last two trips:

1) second week of august. very unusual water levels....came up 3 feet 2 days before we arrived. Bass fishing wasn't bad, but pike were scarce and never saw a muskie.

2) second week of September. water levels OK, but fishing very slow. In five days I caught two small (34" and 27") muskies, very few pike, and very few bass. pounded the water til i was going to drop. Even bass fishing in the rapids with jigs and grubs produced only one bass....in August we sometimes had doubles on. Only thing I noticed was that the weeds were starting to die off. Other than that, I don't have a clue.

In any case, now that I'm back, the old "never say die" feeling is upon me.And I might just try to sweet talk my wife into letting me make a short 3 or 4 day trip for another shot at a big lunge.

I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this idea.

In my opinion that is the fall is best time to fish the French. Our annual trip is usually the weekend after Thanksgiving... We make the run from Dry Pine Bay, up the main channel about 20kms each day. 30+ fish days are normal, and we've had a few 50+ fish days... smallmouth are everywhere, same with the pike... all on the feedbag. Weather is hit or miss, but for us it didn't matter if it was sunny or raining, the fishing was great. Didn't see a 'ski the entire weekend, there are monsters in there, but they are few and far between...

If muskie is your target, I'd hit the Wolseley Bay area....

Edited by BillM