Im Looking for a leader to follow

holdfast

Im looking to sign up with a person that has some drive and determination to start a Boycott at a particular gas station. One day isnt going to cut it but maybe a few weeks. Obviously he will need some public connections. Oh, for the guys that say it aint going to work, Ill keep in mind that maybe you have something in stake. The very least we need public attention. Although prices have trickled down, Its going to happen again. Im onboard with anybody that is willing to give it a try. Yea its fishing related because I have to drive to fish, let alone work. Im in

You want someone to follow? this is totally out of you're character. If you feel so passionate about this cause Lead it yourself and have others join you.

G

Sometimes passion is not enough.....maybe he does not have the experience, connections or skill sets required to lead but is able to participate in other ways.

forrest

Explain to me how boycotting a particular gas station might help?

Well I believe demand has gone down instead of up. People are buying smaller cars and SUVs are selling more. However gas still keeps going up. If you look at the cost of gas per Barrel which has always been a guide line, we should be paying 91 cents. Government is doing nothing. This is a monopoly thats profiting Billions of dollars and its going into someones pockets besides the government. If we Boycott Esso lets say, it will show the people and government that we do not want to be suckers. Im not saying Esso will hurt, because they will only say if you do that, itll drive prices up. But well say that enough is enough. In case you didnt know, thanks to the barrel being low it will be less revenue for the West, Central Canada and government. But for me and you with gas so high it hits our pockets. Gerrit, you are lucky that you get paid for your gas. Not all of us are so lucky. I may have to pull out of the reserves because our milage doent pay for these prices as I travel twice a week to Saskatoon to make 20 dollars an hour as a reservist. Not worth it financially. This is killer because we Canadians travel long distances to work and distribute goods. How many Billions you ask did the oil companies profit? From now on since all gas stations are the same price, I will skip all Esso stations. This is the best I can do from my end here. Still waiting for a candidate to show up at my door.

Start the Rumours on the Radios, letters to the Editer, to your groups, put a sign up beside a candidates sign that Esso is being Boycotted as a random pick. Enough is enough

Edited by holdfast

I'm boycotting 'em all besides Shell ;)

About the candidate thing...I think they are missing a vital option on the voting cards at election time.

There needs to be a 'NONE OF THE ABOVE' option to select instead of having to pick the person who you think is lying the least.

I can't be the only one who feels this way...and if enough people over time selected that option maybe candidates would base their campaign on what they can actually do, not how many promises they can make without being held to them.

Tony B,

Re the voting thing. I am in favour of manditory voting...with the option of none of the above. That way everyone has to vote and the crooks in Ottawa (and Toronto for those who call Ontario home) will see just how many of us are fed up with their garbage.

There needs to be a 'NONE OF THE ABOVE' option to select instead of having to pick the person who you think is lying the least.

I can't be the only one who feels this way...and if enough people over time selected that option maybe candidates would base their campaign on what they can actually do, not how many promises they can make without being held to them.

Hey Tony,

I've worked as a Deputy Returning Officer at elections before....it's amazing how many people do this. I know they are intentional because I'll see stuff like "None of these clowns" with a circle beside it and an X thru it....LOL. Sure, the ballot was spoiled, but that voter was still counted in the "voter turnout" calculation. All spoiled ballots are kept in case of recounts, so there is a record on file of that ballot.

Are you going to boycott or set it on fire. Fires more noticable. Just kidding :oops: . I drive a V6, $70 a fill up, I just live with it. 5 people chanting a an Esso will not make a difference in the gas prices. By all mean do what you want, I believe in you. But government won't even notice. If everyone in Canada where to pickett, then I say I'm in, the thing is to get the message accross it has to be huge.

Read this before you try to boycott one gas retailer....

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Price is about supply and demand overall. Shifting demand to another brand doesn't change overall demand, so the price wont change. Sure, you may put a brand out of business, but that will lower brand competition and open the door for even higher prices.

Price is about supply and demand overall. Shifting demand to another brand doesn't change overall demand, so the price wont change. Sure, you may put a brand out of business, but that will lower brand competition and open the door for even higher prices.

I agree with you, Cliff. By reducing the intensity of competition through boycotts, the brands consumers choose more of will have more power to profit from rising prices or reducing servicing costs, both bad for the consumer.

Unlike some people, I don't think there's much conspiring at the pumps, at least not at the gas station level. I'm not so sure about refiners, but I'm sure the average gas station owner is not as crooked as some may believe. But one way that might lower the price is through signalling. Right now, there are arbitrage scenarios all over the place, where one gas station is slightly cheaper than the others in the area. The problem is gas stations won't give you the price over the phone, nor is there any universal way to get the prices in a particular area. They make a bit of extra profits from this information asymmetry. If the regulators or some industry association demanded gas stations update their prices in real time on a website, then I'm sure we'd see some lowering in prices.

Sorry Cliff I dont buy this stuff in the Link. ( writer might even have oil stocks) I can tell ya that gas stations are in colusion. Proof when on the radio two years ago a rumour was gas was being risen in Toronto 18 cents. I watched 3 gas stations in Angus raise their prices and when I confronted the manager that was pumping my gas he said that he got a call from the district manager. After me price went up to the dissapointment of the line up behind me. Guess what. It was a rumour only and their price dropped by half. I dont give up easy. Also getting the public angry may force the politions to do something. Maybe something like what Taliban Jack proposed a few days ago. Sorry no spell check

Sorry Cliff I dont buy this stuff in the Link. ( writer might even have oil stocks) I can tell ya that gas stations are in colusion. Proof when on the radio two years ago a rumour was gas was being risen in Toronto 18 cents. I watched 3 gas stations in Angus raise their prices and when I confronted the manager that was pumping my gas he said that he got a call from the district manager. After me price went up to the dissapointment of the line up behind me. Guess what. It was a rumour only and their price dropped by half. I dont give up easy. Also getting the public angry may force the politions to do something. Maybe something like what Taliban Jack proposed a few days ago. Sorry no spell check

The situation you are talking about is a temporary one. Total supply and demand runs the economy....in the short term, yes, you may start a price war, but it wont last. If a station or company goes out of business, then that's less competition in the marketplace, thus price tendencies will rise. I did learn something with my BA in Economics...sure I suppose what I learned was all wrong too....it's happened before.