Walleye trolling

bassjnkie

I am getting a list ready for some spending. I have a 16'6" deep V boat. For May I want it decked out for walleye.

I do have some stuff I use for Muskie. BUT I want to change everything. From rod holders to rods and reels, dipsy or planer borads. You know what how about we get a list going and pretend I have nothing.

Any suggestions welcome

Daniel

I am getting a list ready for some spending. I have a 16'6" deep V boat. For May I want it decked out for walleye.

I do have some stuff I use for Muskie. BUT I want to change everything. From rod holders to rods and reels, dipsy or planer borads. You know what how about we get a list going and pretend I have nothing.

Any suggestions welcome

Daniel

Knowledge of Walleye trolling zero but..... Dipsy Divers and planer boards do 2 different things:

one is down and out with long of line out behind you.

one is just out but closer to the stern.

get both!

Daniel, where are you planning on doing your fishing? If it is Lake Erie take the time to go see Angling Outfitters in Woodstock. His prices are very good and his knowledge and service even better. You may also want to consider lead core set ups. This year they were fantastic for bows and eyes on Erie.

okuma convectors size 30 with shimano telora rods

Added the reel to the list. Rod too.

Where do you live, I may be interested in selling my planer board mast and boards. I have one of the best mast in a Cannon mast with Willie boards. ALL in EXCELLENT condition.

Bob

PM me with a price, I will think about it. I wanted to purchase everything new. BUT if the price is right, well.

Daniel, where are you planning on doing your fishing? If it is Lake Erie take the time to go see Angling Outfitters in Woodstock. His prices are very good and his knowledge and service even better. You may also want to consider lead core set ups. This year they were fantastic for bows and eyes on Erie.

That's where I am planning to buy. I just wanted to make a list of for option on what to buy.

The church boards will serve the walleye application as well as doubling in a Musky role as you can adjust the weights and pull some of the smaller Musky baits (2-3 oz).

On the list, thanks

Keep them coming.

Thanks again, great help

Daniel

I agree with clampit on the offshore boards. They can be used in the western basin with an added tattle tale flag kit for pulling worm harnesses or later in the year around Port Bruce pulling your favorite lures over open water. I also have the convectors and they seem to be good so far (2nd year). Check out the Rivierra mast, it comes with a quick mount plate and is extend able to I believe 7 feet.

Reels - Diawa Sealine reels... price drop recently make them competitive price wise to the Okuma and they are IMHO 10 X the reel that the Okuma is!

Rods: Shimano TDR 8-9 ft HEAVY action - under $50.00 and can be found for less than $30.00 when on sale. Also a good alternative rod - Diawa Heartland

-You have to decide whether you want to run a mast system or inline planner boards... there are varying opinions on which is best :whistling:

-Some use no-stretch line on their board rods, with a floro leader, I personally run mono.

- a lead core rod is a really good weapon to have

-if your running dipsey's, use braid.

-Scotty has a new rod holder out this year and it's composite construction makes it even strong then their previous holders... many prefer Salty's as they don't require drilling into yer boat!

There are many more expensive reels and rods available to you, but I can't justify spending that money when you can get good quality equipment that will do the same job, for far less!

HH

PS... buy the Diawa Sealine 47LC!

I have one of these, they come in left side and right side, so make sure you get the right one or buy one of each.

Planer_board.jpg

those are the boars I am planning to buy. Thanks.

I agree with clampit on the offshore boards. They can be used in the western basin with an added tattle tale flag kit for pulling worm harnesses or later in the year around Port Bruce pulling your favorite lures over open water. I also have the convectors and they seem to be good so far (2nd year). Check out the Rivierra mast, it comes with a quick mount plate and is extend able to I believe 7 feet.

I am thinking masts, will I really need them.On the list anyways.

Reels - Diawa Sealine reels... price drop recently make them competitive price wise to the Okuma and they are IMHO 10 X the reel that the Okuma is!

Rods: Shimano TDR 8-9 ft HEAVY action - under $50.00 and can be found for less than $30.00 when on sale. Also a good alternative rod - Diawa Heartland

-You have to decide whether you want to run a mast system or inline planner boards... there are varying opinions on which is best :whistling:

-Some use no-stretch line on their board rods, with a floro leader, I personally run mono.

- a lead core rod is a really good weapon to have

-if your running dipsey's, use braid.

-Scotty has a new rod holder out this year and it's composite construction makes it even strong then their previous holders... many prefer Salty's as they don't require drilling into yer boat!

There are many more expensive reels and rods available to you, but I can't justify spending that money when you can get good quality equipment that will do the same job, for far less!

HH

PS... buy the Diawa Sealine 47LC!

Thanks for all the great ideas and info. Thanks.

Don't forget to upgrade the clips on the Off Shore planer boards to the OR-18 releases

Angling Outfitters is the best!

OR-18 relese, check.

Also, you may want to consider picking up a set of Off Shore Snap weights.

HH

What do the snap weights do?

some jet divers if you plan on running inline boards is always good for getting the fish when they are up in the top 30 feet-ish of the water column.Also keep in mind, if you plan on running multiple lines off the boat, if you are using dipsies at different settings and sizes for example on the same side of the boat, or you plan on running a couple inline boards it saves alot of trouble to have rods that are all the same size.