Musky Rod Selection...

jedimaster

OK guys, I have a nive Shimano 4000 Symetre rear drag that I like to use for musky, but I have been using it on a shimano 6'6" Convergence. I woul dlike to upgrade it to a longer and heavier rod. I was looking at the Shimano 7' Compre Musky Spinning rod. Is this the only option out there for a musky spinning rod? I have some baitcaster setups as well but just looking for something to match up with this big honker of a reel. :)

Well, I hear alot of musky guys on the forum. The modo seems to be bring them in fast, picture and quick release. As musky are delicate. If I am wrong correct me. With spinning reels, even a 4000, isn't there a large margin of un-nessasary play, which could harm or kill a big musky. BTW this is all quoted by Musky anglers and pros.

I don't mind being corrected, and I not trying to be an @$#. It's just a discussion.

Daniel

Why would there be a larges amount of play required with a Spinning reel with a 6:1 gear ratio with an equal line capacity? If your concern is over the drag you have obviously never played a fish with a Rear Drag Symetre. They can be synch up tighter than a nun on sunday.

I don't see much validity in your statement, seeing as an abu C2 has a gear ratio of 6.3:1 and is seen as perfectly acceptable for musky.

Rod availablilty is the biggest draw back, so using spinning rods. Also Casting over and over with a spinning rod is a bit of a pita, but since its for trolling I don't see that as an issue.

I have 2 heavy spinning rods that I use for musky fishing..an 8 footer, and a 9 footer heavy...both have big reels with a tonnes of line capacity, never had an issue ever, I use these rods for fishing with live bait(single hook,no trailer),chucking big lures and trolling, not an issue in any of these scenarios :Gonefishing:

Look, look, look. Don't get all jumpy with me, I am only saying what I hear.

Are you really comparing an enry level rear drag reel with a monster 10000 salt series reel, dude it's apples and oranges. For 30lb carp I use a Tica Abyss 9007 saltwater spinning reel that will make that symetre smoke. Saltwater reel are built like tanks, HUGE drag discs.

I think I mistaken on your intetions for using a 4000. I am talking trophy Musky. For that reason I am saying it's not a good idea to use that reel.

By the way the torque you get with a C4, is alot more than a rear drag spinning.

If you are using the 4000 for trophies. :stretcher: I am done with this dicussion.

OK guys, I have a nive Shimano 4000 Symetre rear drag that I like to use for musky, but I have been using it on a shimano 6'6" Convergence. I woul dlike to upgrade it to a longer and heavier rod. I was looking at the Shimano 7' Compre Musky Spinning rod. Is this the only option out there for a musky spinning rod? I have some baitcaster setups as well but just looking for something to match up with this big honker of a reel. :)

Go for the Compre........you cant go wrong for the price BUT,

where you can go wrong is,

..........#50 braid for musky??????? :wallbash:

I would never consider anything under #80 in which case you must use a baitcaster period.

It also must be paired with a decent leader of material of your choice but if you wish to be fish friendly use a fluor leader of at least #100.

I dont have one set-up under #80 w/#130 fluoro leader.

Regardless of the size of your spincast reel it cannot possibly handle line test effectively over #30 mono for this type of fishing.

I am perhaps incorrect but the way I have learned is......."This is what it is"'

If you want the fish to survive..you bring ér in quick for the release or dont bother at all.................and,

if you get an incidental catch on light setups......

Cut the freaking line.

Good luck with whatever set up you choose! I hope musky fishing isn't becoming a snob sport. Why must people fish with the tackle that everyone else does? If it's legal and ethical, which I have no doubt a good spinning set up is, I have no qualms about it. And from JM's previous posts, it sure looks like he's a careful and effective fisherman, musky or otherwise.

I've heard that in the fly fishing game, many "purists" think it's only acceptable to fish with dry flies, without any weight, without any indicators, etc. When I read some musky posts saying that people must fish with braid, without spinning gear, with certain brands of nets, etc., it sounds strangely familiar. I care about muskies like everyone else (though not more than any other species), but I fear some may be drawing the line between concern and elistism.

I have the exact rod you are looking to buy, the Shimano Compre Muskie spinning 7', matched up with a Quantum Energy PTI. I also use 50lb Power Pro. Never had any problems bringing in any of my muskies quickly with it - it is a great rod. That being said, I am looking to buy a baitcasting outfit soon, just because I keep hearing it is easier to cast and retrieve big baits with baitcasters. I almost wore my arm out last time out chucking believers for 10 hours with my current setup!

I have the exact rod you are looking to buy, the Shimano Compre Muskie spinning 7', matched up with a Quantum Energy PTI. I also use 50lb Power Pro. Never had any problems bringing in any of my muskies quickly with it - it is a great rod. That being said, I am looking to buy a baitcasting outfit soon, just because I keep hearing it is easier to cast and retrieve big baits with baitcasters. I almost wore my arm out last time out chucking believers for 10 hours with my current setup!

Thanks for the review! Maybe I'll get that spinning setup as a backup musky rod or whenever the woman wants to come with me. She refuses to learn a "new way of casting".

Lots of folks like to play the eleitist role when it comes to Musky fishing. Boo hoo No skin off of my teeth. Actually I wrote a big long thing back but I decided I would rather not get into it with them. The question as I recall does anyone know of any other Musky SPinning rods other than the Clarus MUSKY spinning rod. I did get some great info on musky SPINNING rods. so thanks folks. :)