Algoma Region

ctdd2006

The St Mary's is a very underrated fishery. Just about every species available. Are the eyes hitting yet? Have you gotten to experience the Yooper anchor over the wall at the power plant??? Neat stuff! Watch for the natives hurling their monster trebles with their "snag" retrieve on the US side for salmon this time of year. The pier is usually jammed full this time of year. A crazy thing to see. I nearly got into a fight the first time I saw it! A sad sight to be seen!

My parents have good friends that live up in Elliot Lake, to bad they won't divulge a few decent trout lakes/rivers, lol.

I've been to the Sault during the pink run, insanity for sure. We also hit up the Michipicoten up in Wawa.. what an experience that was.

I'd be glad to share some of fave honey holes (there are plenty of lakes/hot spots for everyone to enjoy responsibly!) or provide a free day of guiding. If you're ever in the area.......the lake trout are abundant and easily accessible lakes are plenty! Nice thing is....most offer multiple species! If the lakers are slow....target the smallies!

Edited by ctdd2006

Glad to have you...lots of room on my 16.5ft Sea Nymph Fishing Machine. It's an older model with the front and rear casting decks......70HP Mariner I lover her! I know the Chapleau area well and make sure to visit the Chapleau to Timmins corridor a few times a year. What brings you to our little neck of the woods?

Booming for sure! I've heard nothing but good things of 5 mile. My folks have been a few times. Hopefully the snow is good for you. Natives are predicting light snow (wasp nests are only 4 feet off the ground) therefore at least your ice should be good. I rarely fish for eyes in winter as I can jump on my sled from my yard and have a line in the water on a very productive speck, splake or laker lake within 30 mins. Eyes are a day trip minimum requiring trailering which I only do once or twice a year.

Very fun! Be careful though.....I'm going to guess with all the rain this year the holes are deeper and water is faster! Nice thing is there is always a friendly face close by to help out if need be! There use to be sanctuaries all over that you'll actually have to walk past/through....be sure you're past those....lots of eyes around and you wouldn't want to make an honest mistake that costs you. It used to be well posted but I haven't been there is a couple years.

The rapids are very low right now, superior dropped in level last month so they decreased the outflow. Just watch for blue water and as a first timer bring a wading staff to test the depths. The clear water can be deceiving. Plenty of pacific salmon in there right now hitting skein and globugs. Fish higher in the water column...

For sanctuaries just dont fish from the train bridge or right up close to the compensating gates.

Also along the dike there are openings (fishways) and you are not permitted to fish within as set distance 50ft or meters I forget but just avoid these areas as there are plenty of fish elsewhere to be caught.