Thames River report

Beats

Went out and checked the water levels in some spots on the Thames tonight. Started at Fanshawe lake and saw that my usual spots were flooded. I fish from shore, so I need some room to get around and cast. Left the lake and tried the river and had possibly the best success in my life on the Thames. First off, let me say that before this year I had never caught a single pickerel in my life. I made a post ( http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...c=22658&hl= ) a while back detailing that I had finally started to catch them in the lake. Well, I started to catch 5 or 6 a night for a while there but they were all small. I gave myself the goal of catching 50 this season. Up until tonight I had caught 40 and every one was the same size. All were between 10-12" and 1/2-1 lb in weight. Pretty tiny, but made up for it in numbers. Gotta remember I am fishing from shore. Well tonight I caught #'s 41, 42, and 43 and it has to be my greatest day on the Thames (not the lake!).

Thamespics.jpg

The fish are 16, 17, and 19.5 " in length and have a combined weight of 4.75 lbs. All caught on white power grub with a glow in the dark jighead. Fished from 7-9 pm and all fish were caught between 8-8:30 pm. I caught the smallest one first and was overjoyed that I had finally caught one of a different size. An eater! About 5 mins later the next biggest, and then about 20 mins after that the biggest. I couldn't be happier. I have gone out for I'd guess the last 7 years or so each spring with my dad and never caught or seen a pickerel. So I had this coming. The river owed me one.

On that note, not to be rude, but plz don't Pm me asking where the fish were caught. If you can think of 5 spots or so on the river that hold pickerel, chances are I was at one of them:)

those are going to be so damn good.

You know what i had for dinner tonight? Cheep Beef-crap on a bun and rice... I dang' hate rice! ... Want to come over for dinner? I can make some fine chips to go with that fish lol

Congrats

-R-

Well done Beats!

I was just talking to another London OFNer tonight about some Thames spots... I really have to get my butt out there! I'm surprised you got into some fishable areas at all. I saw the Nith and Grand rivers overflowing and like chocolate milk tonight.

-Brian

Just to add another note to parts of walleye that are quite tasty....We do a thing called walleye wings..Its a part of the fish that regularly gets tossed away after filleting. Its the big chunk of meat just below the gills that the pectoral fins are attached too or I think thats what those fins are called...We cut that out fins and all and fry them up in the pan with a fish crisp or whatever batter coating available...Supprisingly enough there is alot of meat on them wings. Enjoy !!

Cheers !!

Just to add another note to parts of walleye that are quite tasty....We do a thing called walleye wings..Its a part of the fish that regularly gets tossed away after filleting. Its the big chunk of meat just below the gills that the pectoral fins are attached too or I think thats what those fins are called...We cut that out fins and all and fry them up in the pan with a fish crisp or whatever batter coating available...Supprisingly enough there is alot of meat on them wings. Enjoy !!

Cheers !!

From watching Chronzy all these years I have seen and been aware of the eating of pickerel cheeks, "wings", and fins. I was thinking of the cheeks last night for the big one and partially removed one piece but it seemed so small I figured that either the fish was too small or I had messed something up. I know you don't get alot of meat but just a little scallop-sized thing, but I also couldn't remember the rule of thumb for what size of fish is best to take cheeks from. I remember hearing somewhere that if a fish is rougly ______ in size, then it's big enough to take the cheeks from. Either way, I'll make more of an effort on the next big one.

Well done Beats!

I was just talking to another London OFNer tonight about some Thames spots... I really have to get my butt out there! I'm surprised you got into some fishable areas at all. I saw the Nith and Grand rivers overflowing and like chocolate milk tonight.

-Brian

I'm sure those fish were caught in one of the spots I mentioned to you Brian..

Good job Beats I remember that post where you outlined your plan for getting a hold of Mr. Walter in the Thames this year and It looks like you did really well.

jjcanoe

You can thank the Thames River Anglers Association for all the work they have done and are currently doing to create a walleye fishery in Fanshawe Lake and the North branch of The Thames. Without their efforts none of this would be possible. I also hope everyone is aware of the new regulations for Zone 16 now. Limits of 4 and 2 respectively with 3under 18.1 inches and 1 over. Conservation license is 1 and 1. I hope people are smart enough to limit their kill and don't kill their limit.

Spaceman.

The fish pictured aren't from the lake or above the lake. I am well aware of the TRAA's work and past projects and I have been considering membership for a while now. I have met, and spoken with, many members whom I have randomly met along the river. Most have been a great source of info for me with regards to learning more about the creeks, stocking programs etc of the Thames. Too bad their website has been totally out of date for a really long time. I have been checking it for months and all their past projects etc are dead links. http://www.anglers.org