Old School Coleman Lanterns

Nemo

Hi just thought I would post some pics of an old Coleman Lantern I found up at the cottage.

I have been researching them and as close as I can tell they are either model 427 or 327 and date from the 30's or 40's.

I am working with another site that specializes in Coleman lanterns to get a positive ID.

The globe is made from mica and they are stamped as made in Toronto.

The Coleman site is at Coleman Site

The lantern was my wife's grandfathers and was used on hunting trips. I would love to have heard the stories told around this lamp.

Anyone have any old lanterns/stoves they still use?

tn_gallery_39_120_40338.jpg

tn_gallery_39_120_83893.jpg

tn_gallery_39_120_5829.jpg

tn_gallery_39_120_27469.jpg

Thats a pretty cool find Nemo!

I love the Naptha lamps...

They will stand the test of time if properly maintained.

I still use an older coleman Stove and Lantern on my trips(older as in 1980)

I love that style because it puts off a lot of light, the fuel is cheap and it comes in handy some times.

Nothing and I mean NUTHIN will start a fire in damp conditions like a little naptha...

Try doing that with yer new fancy high tech Propane burners :canadian:

I have a couple of lanterns and would like one of the army issue stoves built for WW2. I need to eventually find someone to fix my nicest lantern, which was made in Toronto and quite possibly the same model as the one shown in the photo on this thread.

They had some really neat products in the 1950's, if one has any old catalogs around.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

That one is a beauty, John. Pa has two that are similar, one green and the other is red. The green one dates from at least 1960 and is one of my first memories of the outdoors.

I recently bought a propane lantern, like this one.

2500C722C.jpg

I fired it up last time I was with Pa and the geezers - turn the knob and hey presto - and heard the comments: that was quick, that's really bright, and I might have to get one like that.

There was a warm glow to the old naptha lamps that propane doesn't have. Maybe its just my imagination. Growing up, we did not see hydro or flush toilets til 1970. We had a couple of the smaller green lamps in the kitchen and hallway, but the main room had 2 big lanterns hanging from the rafters. The story was my uncle had 'liberated' them from the railroad. I used to listen to the old timers tellin their tales under the warm glow of those old lamps. The conversation got louder and much livlier as the men passed the bottle around. In the background there was the crackle of the fire from the old pot belly stove, and the aroma of baked goodies or biscuits heating up.

See what a simple picture can conjure up. I'd give just about anything to step back into time and sit in that room one more time on a Friday night and add my tales to those of the other Suomalainen.

Thank you for kindling a real warm and fuzzy with this thread :clapping:

Tack sa mycket or Kiitos

Edited by bigugli

Oi Suomi, katso, sinun päiväs' koittaa, bigugli.

Sinä olet tervetullut.

(you are welcome?)

I regret My Finnish and Swedish is limited to cordial greetings. Gramp was a Swede, Gram a Finn from Karjala. THe solution was that we all spoke English.

You wouldn't happen to have a good recipe for making Sil? A few of the oldtimers would make it here using smelts.

All this reminescing has started up a craving for some pulla, rissa puri and some Lingonberry Brandy, or Peder Heering to wash it all down with.

Edited by bigugli

Bigugli, you are probably talking about Silakkarullat.

Try this one using herring:

1 1/2 lb gr Herring fillets

1 tsp salt

bundle of dill

Marinade:

1 1/3 c water

1/3 c wine vinegar

1/3 c sugar

1 tsp salt

10 ground allspice

1 bay leaf

1 sliced red onion

dill stalks

Spread the fillets on the baking sheet, skin side down, and sprinkle with salt and dill. Roll the fillets and place tightly into a saucepan.

Bring the marinade ingredients to a boil and pour over the herring fillets. The fillet rolls must be totally covered with marinade. Cover the saucepan with a lid and cook at a low temperature for 6 – 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.

How does that sound? Now I'm hungry.

Edited by douG

The sil I refer to is the actual pickled herring, in jars, in the different types of marinade. I may be using the Swede name for it.

In desperation I can always look for a Suomi Aitta, or the nearest IKEA.

How does this sound. A piece of hard rye, with a layer of cream cheese and a piece of sil on top. Washed down with a generous mouthful, or two, of beer.

I'm pretty sure I have a Cdn version 220F and a 411 stove stored away in the crawl space, probably both still in the boxes they came in. If there are any collectors out there who want 'em I'll crawl in and look. They're free to a collector (if I still have 'em).

JF

What I remember more about those lanterns and stoves (we had both) than the light, was the sound of the pressurised gas (from covering the plunger and pumping) as it burned. I also distinctly remember the smell of them both. I loved that smell.

Thanks for reminding me.

Jim

The Lantern I use is an 1981...still works like a charm

cole286598.jpg

My Stove However is an older 1961 model

gallery_338_476_102860.jpg

Still works great....many good fish fry have been made on her elements

I Still prefer it over the Propane models for the stability factor, not to mention 2 burners and wind control.

And if that wasn't enough, it makes a great table top when its closed.

Sure its heavier then the newer Propane models but then Again its got a handle to carry it with, and it will start even if its wet...

the 2 propane stoves that got wet on the last trip didn't fair so well LOL!