NWPA - The next Step - if you want

jedi jeffi

For years across the country all outdoor user groups have been trying to save their little areas of paradise, much of the time with the cards stacked against them.

For the first time we have an issue that has crossed the boundaries and one that could equally affect us all the same. We now have over 100 various organizations across Canada mentioning the Navigable Waters Protection Act, but still we have made little inroads with the average outdoor user or Canadian that may rarely venture out to the waterways.

We have no budget for advertising,

No budget for lobbyists.

No politicians in our pocket.

And if this works,

Priceless!

So here we go!

I know this is really reaching and will most likely offend a few people.

I will place it as a separate post so it is a clean copy and paste.

But I don’t see any other way to make sure that the outdoor user groups get invited to the table at the next round.

That is the least I am hoping for.

The big kids have their own agenda

The average urban dweller has no idea what they may lose.

In this experiment of the “6 degrees of separation” on the lighter side I am hoping for a dinner with Kevin Bacon or at least a benefit concert from his band to fund some lobbyists.( I’ll make sure you get the good tickets)

And as much as you may offend people on your email list consider what may happen if no outdoor user groups get invited again.

So to get to eat at the table we have to use what tools we have, time is running short.

Hey! It’s my name at the bottom and if I look like a fool, well it’s not the first time, and I am sure I will have plenty of other opportunities!

There are others who have risked much more, so I stand up for them.

There are far more educated/informed people, who should have that seat than me.

I’ll be happy with the dessert!

Jeff McColl

Edit check out todays TO sun editorial.

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/editoria...15/6766111.html

Edited by Jeff McColl

I am not a fan of chain e-mails and have never forwarded one, (except for child find ) let alone start one. However, if you are concerned for Canadian rivers or the debate(s) on other environmental concerns, then pass this on! I am not supported by any political party or major environmental group and have no multi-million dollar advertising budget. Only my passion for paddling and being outdoors propels me. So, equipped with the internet and written word as my tools, I hope to spread the word to help preserve our rights under the Navigable Waters Protection Act.

This Act, enshrined in law, gives all Canadians access to waterways and protects access to those waterways for future generations - the ability to canoe, kayak, power boat, to fish and to hunt, much the same as Canadians 100 years ago, except instead of doing it to survive we do it for recreation.

In the recent past, Canadians have learned to use this Act for protection of their water ways. The Act required that “works” be made known, giving a chance for concerned citizens to voice their concerns over those proposed projects. If Canadians, even 40 years ago, showed the same concern for their environment we would not be using huge amounts of tax dollars to rehabilitate the many cement ditches and destroyed urban watersheds.

The proposed changes brought forward in June of this year are cause for great concern to the ordinary user of Canadian water ways.

“Too silent to be real”

These words from Gordon Lightfoot’s “Canadian Railroad Trilogy” instantly place an image in your mind of the vast tracts of Canadian wilderness.

The trouble is - as we go into this election, the silence is real.

Canadian rivers/watersheds are under unprecedented assault.

The politicians are silent.

The majority of big environmental groups are silent.

The big professional groups/outfitters in all outdoor user groups are silent.

This leaves just a few ordinary Canadians voicing their concerns, trying to ensure the rights given to you over 100 years ago are preserved.

We can understand the need for changes,

We can also understand the need for a fast track mechanism to build infrastructure projects.

But we also understand that these works need to be done in an environmentally way as to safeguard the health of the watersheds.

There should be approved construction/water treatment processes that evolve with technological advancements.

We also believe that the Canadian public should not have to subsidize industry so that they may profit.

When looking for someone to quote, the person’s words who I felt were most appropriate were by Rev. Martin Niemoller. (His words at the end) I believe that Martin Niemoeller’s words were meant for more than man’s inhumanity to man.

As humans continue to assault the planet I believe we should heed his words.

And, as Rev. Niemoeller did, I release this letter to the public domain.

I am Jeff McColl, Milton, Ontario

I am just a mailman.

I speak for Canadian Rivers!

http://www.ispeakforcanadianrivers.com/

We can make a difference!

Forward/copy this to everyone, including the politicians.

Let them know you are speaking up!

“First they came for the Communists,

and I didn’t speak up,

because I wasn’t a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn’t speak up,

because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,

and I didn’t speak up,

because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,

and by that time there was no one

left to speak up for me.”

- Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

Why dont you put all your efforts into the Gas issue. Its ruining my sustainment and quality of life. As far as cottages or whatever your worried about, not on my list of bullets for the next candidate that is brave enough to ask for my vote. Rather see these monkeys do something to these criminals that have a monopoly on us. Seems we got hit harder by the hurricanes than Texas and New Orleans. Texas Gas went up 5 cents a gallon. Canada 45 cents and that doesnt count for the spike of the Hurricane that wasnt ( Oil Production) in New Orleans. This hurts my family the worst.

Edited by holdfast

I support the sentiment, but I really fail to see this issue gaining legs guys.

We have a health care system in the crapper

A sinking economy

Rising energy costs

An enviroment that needs some fixing

An education systme only slightly better then developing country

and I fail to see how access to water will be the nail in the coffin

It's been a problem since the "shortage" of the 70's (yeah I can still remember)

Just like all the other issues all talk no do.

The accountability is the real issue, And I am taking them to task for your right to go fishing/hunting/boating where you want to.

If someone wants to lead the charge I'll sign up for that one too, but my budget is stretched to the limit the same as yours.

Force them to answer all your questions.

It's all about the $ and until they stop getting it, well, gas speculators my.......

Jeff

and you need lots of nails.

And you have to stand up.

If you judge by the T.O. Sun editorial,

link at the top.

The public is not pushing any buttons.

This election more than any other in recent memory has the posabilities to get those things.

This is just one issue, and you can either stand up or not,

And I am pushing the buttons as you, I just choose this one for me to get up on the soap box, and I have carried that box to alot of places.

I am just trying to give back so others can enjoy as many years as I have outside (born in 55)

So post some letters for copy and paste and away you go, plus a "few" hours of surfing to find out where it will make the biggest difference.

Jeff

Too dang bad for you. Maybe you should look at the big picture. You selfish so and so.

Chris

Why dont you take a pill. As far as name calling shows me how much of a man you are. Good thing youve never been in my shoes. No Doubt you wouldnt be able to take it. Barring the Dia (Crap) out of your mouth. My Point is The Economy or whats ( lets see, Ill spell it out. MY MILITARY PENSION is taking a huge hit. There you go you selfish..................crack head. Thats my priority.

And water is part of the environment, this act is about more than just access rights.

the way it is written now if there are to be any "works" on a water shed, then it had to be made "known."

Which gives people a chance to make sure their water is protected, the trouble was poeple were starting to understand how the act worked.

It's complicated,

Sending an email on any of these issues is not hard, trying to get back your rights after they take them away will be hard.

Jeff

and that's how they push all the bad stuff though (play nice guys!)

Right through the middle.

I paddle and play old timers hockey with 2 retired Military guys.

I don't like the treatment of the Vets either, and have put my name to that issue.

The trick is if you yell and scream, no one listens, but ask a tough question in public, everyone else knows a canned response.

Fight them we win

Fight ourselves and the save the issue for the next election and the next one and.....

Jeff

Passion is good, the debate is good, and Verminator you picked up the the ball, the gov't guys don't expect Canadians to do that, and that said ...Thanks!

A few people speaking up is not going to do,

If you feel real strong, about any of those issues you have to inspire your neighbour too!

and most Canadians don't like to be politicial.

I just went to the neighobours that enjoy the outdoors like me, then we get them together, and we inspire the rest of the neighbourhood.

Jeff

By the sounds of it 4reel you've spent your whole life in steeltown and your chromosomes are starting to show that, or maybe you're parents were related.

That is completly uncalled for. He deserves to have his opinion, as you deserve to have yours. He doesn't deserve to be insulted, and have his family insulted. Very bad form.

That is completly uncalled for. He deserves to have his opinion, as you deserve to have yours. He doesn't deserve to be insulted, and have his family insulted. Very bad form.

Maybe Cracker figures nobody will Bite back. Problem with people like that, when it comes to the environment, they think they have all the answers and theyre Gods children. Just Tunnel visions and a head like a cement block.

:stretcher:

Well now that we've kissed and made up, a point made earlier about other problems.

Untill now I never had thought about it.

A thread section that will link you to online petitions.

The vet issue got me thinking about the one started last year about getting help for the wounded.

First it never should have had to go that route.

That said it would have happened a lot faster if more groups where quickly made aware.

And they are still fighting for proper support :wallbash:

After watching the actors :asshat: after the T.O. film festival whine aobut not enough for the arts

.........now your getting steamed

They get news at 6 & 11

were trying to get chain emails out about protecting waterways,

and the feds still have not stepped up to the plate for the military,

well maybe they have, the dinner plate.

so no matter what the issue.

It's time to get tough on all of them,

Go back to fight'n the neighbours later :whistling:

It's not the sweater, it's whats in it that counts :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeff McColl