Spearfishing Walleye

nelly

Those vids were a bit disturbing! Poor Walleyes!!! The spear one seemed just wrong to me....and even if he was taking the ice fishing one home....did he need to kick it across the ice? Maybe I'm just too much of a sensitive guy....LOL.

The Leave it to Beaver clip was hilarious!

Whether you angle it or spear/arrow it... you're impailing it with something either way.

I think the walleye would have gone through a lot more stress fighting on the end of a line. If it does so for the sole purpose of providing pleasure/fun to the person who angled it, who isn't going to keep or eat anything they catch... all the worse.

Just my opinion.

And the dude doing the spearing was free diving. Just him, the spear, and the fish.

Edited by Northhunter

I hope it's not just for sport, I wouldn't want to see it legal here

but if it's legal where they are doing it then so be it have fun

Northhunter fish have almost no stress from being hooked with a fishing hook

P3TA paid for a big study on it hoping to prove that they fee pain and stress and the study which back every other study ever done it doesn't hurt them and there is no real stress, and when put in a tank to be studied right after being hook they showed the same behavior as a fish that was in the tank for days....no stress, just P3TA playing with kids heads

Whether you angle it or spear/arrow it... you're impailing it with something either way.

I think the walleye would have gone through a lot more stress fighting on the end of a line. If it does so for the sole purpose of providing pleasure/fun to the person who angled it, who isn't going to keep or eat anything they catch... all the worse.

Just my opinion.

And the dude doing the spearing was free diving. Just him, the spear, and the fish.

agreed. it may not look appealing to many 'catch and release sportfishermen' here but at least he appears to be very particular with his quarry. i know it was a very short clip but he wasn't slashing away at anything he saw indiscriminately... he saw his intended target, took one shot and that was it.

how many fish do we each hook, play out on gear that is often too light, then release... claiming that we're concerned about 'not stressing the fish out'? especially in a lot of the virtually artificial and augmented fisheries we taxpayers pay for, the fish are there for our enjoyment. don't want to stress a fish out or have a walleye dinner? then don't bother em.

and about that study from a couple years ago... i remember a lot of fishing publications were citing it a lot but i had no idea that P3TA actually funded it. i'm not arguing, just surprised is all... not about to visit that sham of a business' site either just to find out! :rolleyes: but just to add another point about impaling with a hook and that study's focus on that, did they consider other factors such as pre or postspawn fish that already show visible signs of wear and tear (stress), or did they consider fish that were played out from depths of 30+ feet... hauled out of heavy cover in warm water... reefed out of logjams in warming rivers? 'scientific studies' can only go so far and then nature and common sense takes over.

my view is that fishing and hunting is virtually the same thing. it's just that with fishing, the angler has a dubious option of returning their quarry alive... not necessarily unharmed. that's why i have a problem with the popular notion of 'catch and release' which really only promotes the commercial aspect of our pastime. 'selective harvest' is more accurate in my opinion.

interesting vids, and even though i can't see anything wrong or disagreeable with them, i don't think i'll be picking up a speargun any time soon.

:)

I agree they are not fishing they are hunting and if legal where they are doing it ..do it

as for the stress...it was emotional stress they were referring to not physical stress...fish have flee and fight response but that's it, it's not the same as a warm blooded animal that can be stressed and emotionally harmed for life from a frightening experience

I don't buy that but I know a lot of other anglers do. If it makes one feel better to think that, not my place to correct but all things considered, there have been many non P3TA tree hugger studies that prove physical stress/increased mortality caused by C&R.

Why is everyone so sensitive. if it's legal, leave the guy alone. There's way too much negativity going on. If it's not something you would do, fine....but why come down on someone else for it.

I don't like eating chicken..does that mean it's wrong to do so???

well I think everyone one in the world will admit that physical stress will be increased if you throw a lure out and hook or for that matter if the fish swims after the lure any physical activity increases physical stress

but that doesn't have to be a bad thing....just like someone jogging

and for sure...the longer you keep a fish out of water that greater the chance of it dropping dead...getting fish from deep water is another factor, but MNR and most studies show a C&R fish has more chance of living then one on a stringer......lol

well I think everyone one in the world will admit that physical stress will be increased if you throw a lure out and hook or for that matter if the fish swims after the lure any physical activity increases physical stress

but that doesn't have to be a bad thing....just like someone jogging

and for sure...the longer you keep a fish out of water that greater the chance of it dropping dead...getting fish from deep water is another factor, but MNR and most studies show a C&R fish has more chance of living then one on a stringer......lol

I wasn't referring to any sort of "emotional" stress. If a fish on the end of a line has a "fight or flight" response than how does that compare to someone jogging, unless a grizzly is after their behind?

I agree, a C&R fish is more likely to live than one that's caught and kept, but one that's left alone completely also has a higher chance of living than one that's been handled purely for "sport".

I'm not trying to call you out Ter, it just irks me that a lot of the people who have issues about disrespecting fish and all that jazz are purely C&R anglers who often angle many more fish in the name of sport than someone who goes out and keeps a few, enjoys the resource and then goes home.

well if you would be jogging at the same speed and distance that you would running from the bear, then there would be no extra physical stress, then the jog..and there is nothing wrong with a jog

my point was that not all physical stress is bad or deadly

and if a bear chases you, you will have mental stress about

it, the fish is completely over it the second it gets away and stops

and I have not problem with people killing fish to eat......or C&R