fishing rainbow with cray fish

hurraylien

Rainbow will eat just about anything in the fall. Grasshoppers,crickets,ants,worms,minnow,invertabrits and yes even crayfish....Sometimes it pays out big time to think out of the box while fishing for steel...

Friend of mine would go to the grocery store and buy squid tenticals and use the ends of them to catch his rainbows..Sounds fishy,probably is and smells fishy too which explains why he was catching fish on them. He claimed he could go a whole morning with one or two squid tenticals because they were like rubber and stayed on the hook fish after fish....Hmmm, I still find that hard to beleive.....

Cheers !!

Yes and no...

I lost one in southhampton once.

I was fishing Bass in Mid July, with Crawfish when I was a kid, and got a hit...set the hook and she went airborne jumping, and running, and spit the hook....both exciting, and very disappointing as a kid LOL!

I caught some splake 3 years ago that were loaded with Crawfish as well.

I think they are pretty much a staple food in the diet of most fish.

I lost one in southhampton once.

I was fishing Bass in Mid July, with Crawfish when I was a kid, and got a hit...set the hook and she went airborne jumping, and running, and spit the hook....both exciting, and very disappointing as a kid LOL!

The fish you hooked in South Hampton in July was probably a strain of trout called a Skamania. They were put in the Saugeen way back by the ministry. The fish is half trout and half salmon and it predominently spawns in the summer. This fish strain is a superior fighter due to the wide tail it inherrited from the salmon and the long lean bullet shaped body of the rainbow trout and widley known for its acrobatics and strength. Some anglers consider this fish to be on steroids !!! Consider yourself lucky to even of had him on as long as you did. :)

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/skamie.html

Very well could have been!

I had a tussell with what I beleive was one later in life in Colpoys bay in Mid July as well....

We were running riggers all day to no avail, and I decided to switch my depth WAY up to 30 feet, as I was marking a few fish up high so I figured why not?....we were about to be skunked anyway as we were on our way back in to the dock.

No more then 5 minutes later Bang!!!

My high rigger goes off but the line went slack so we figured he was off.

I was reeling in quickly to get the line in and back out when I suddenly realized he was swimming "AT" the boat!

By that time he was already airborne.

He hit the lure down 30 feet, and was taildancing by the time I caught up on the slack LOL!

Incedible fish....absolutey awesome fight!

The fight was litterally all on top, which is why we figured is was a Skamania.

Pretty rare to hook a Steely 30 feet down on the riggers, only to fight him in the top 4 feet of an 80' depth.

I'll have to dig up the photo and scan it....it was before the age of digital LOL!

I've been dying to get back out there and do that again, but I've just not been able to find the time the last couple of years.

I still know the spot.

Who knows maybe they are still around....locals say yes they are, allthough I've not seen one since :(

The fish you hooked in South Hampton in July was probably a strain of trout called a Skamania. They were put in the Saugeen way back by the ministry. The fish is half trout and half salmon and it predominently spawns in the summer. This fish strain is a superior fighter due to the wide tail it inherrited from the salmon and the long lean bullet shaped body of the rainbow trout and widley known for its acrobatics and strength. Some anglers consider this fish to be on steroids !!! Consider yourself lucky to even of had him on as long as you did. :)

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/skamie.html

I dont know where you got that info but its not true. Skamania are 100% rainbow trout. Other than that your information is pretty solid. Skamania first started showing up in the Saugeen in the early 90's and these fish were strays from Michigans prolific stockings. I beleive the Syndenham Sportsman started collecting eggs from them at Denny's and raising them for both the Saugeen and Syndenham fisheries but returns were abyssmal so the effort was stopped.

I dont know where you got that info but its not true. Skamania are 100% rainbow trout. Other than that your information is pretty solid. Skamania first started showing up in the Saugeen in the early 90's and these fish were strays from Michigans prolific stockings. I beleive the Syndenham Sportsman started collecting eggs from them at Denny's and raising them for both the Saugeen and Syndenham fisheries but returns were abyssmal so the effort was stopped.

Your right,I did some reading after I typed that and they are in a matter of fact 100 percent Rainbows,,,,me wrong. Thats what I get for listening to old wives tales down at the river.....They are awsome fighters to say the least !!!!

Your right,I did some reading after I typed that and they are in a matter of fact 100 percent Rainbows,,,,me wrong. Thats what I get for listening to old wives tales down at the river.....They are awsome fighters to say the least !!!!

I agree with the fighting part all right. I got about an 8lb female this spring she just went rabid..... Must have jumped about 10 times and I had out about 100yds of line when I set the hook. Unbelievable show for a fish with such a slender body.

I've used live crabs for bows before.....leeches work good too.......heck i've even caught them on a very small goby before.....it took the goby as i was reeling it in.....bows like alot of fish are dumb......they'll eat jus about anything that they can get down the hatch.....

Hawk