Memories

bassjnkie

When I was ten I started fishing with my uncle in his 12' alum boat for walleye on Scougog. I remeber it like yesterday. tie on a harness, fix the worm on. Cast it out there and let the wind drifed the boat, no trolling with a motor. When I purcased my first boat I started to troll and never every tries the drifting method again. We would hammer the walleye left and right just by letting the wind drift us across the honey hole, then motor back and drift again.

Now my question: Is the difting method still used, or is it a lost art with the introduction of the trolling motor?

Daniel

I do it for a variety of fish, as also a few others I fish with still do this as well, it's one of my favorite ways to cover alot of water, and also helps me find fish for example when I am in my smaller boat with no fish finder on it...I let drifting my bait be my fish finder if I find a high percentage area to work over, I just make myslef 3-4 way-points on shore for refference, and X marks the spot :Gonefishing:

Drifting in my book is one way to cover a lot of water and locate fish when the bite is tuff, especially on a windy day when there's a nice chop.

When everything else has been tried.....I do not hesitate in trying this method and don't think it's a lost art with the introduction of trolling motors.

Leechman

Drifting is still my prefered means of searching out fish on new water or in tough conditions. I use the trolling motor for position control. When there are more than 2 in the boat, it also allows everyone an equal shot at fishing without snagging one another casting. Lots of people still drift fish. I must make 1000 harnesses a year for people (of course, 50 are just for me)

Still one of my favorite ways to fish...love to see a good pickerel chop on the lake when I get down there...

I always keep an orange marker to throw out to mark a "catch"...along with my fishfinder to mark mid-lake humps...run back upwind and try to drift past the "marker"...

Motv8tr and I drift fished for our fish up at Lakair...

Edited by Beans

Good tecniques never die. I still fish with the drift when I pull lindy rigs for walleye providing the wind is pushin in the right direction. Go back to that spot and do as you did when you were a youngster and you'll probably suprise yourself.....

Cheers !!

I have only drifted worm harnessess a handful of times. Usually harnesses get trolled when i have seen them being used. HOWEVER i love drifting. Better then having the motor puttering in your ear. Even in the canoe we do a drift ...of a sort.

Drifting is far from lost.

-R-