Spinning Rod & Reel Suggestion

alexw

Hi everyone,

I am planning to get myself a new spinning rod and reel mainly for bass and walleye fishing for under $200 total. If you are happy with one of yours, can you please share the following info:

1) Brand / model of rod

2) Brand / model of reel

3) Where did you buy them

4) Why do you like them

5) What not to buy

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alex

3 identical setup I use a Fenwick 7' HMX Medium, got the tip guide replaced because the factory one is flimsey/crap. Paired with a Quantum Catalyst PTi20 chrome version and 20Lb PP. I am thinking of selling one of the combos if you want to buy used.

Why I like them:

Rod is very sensetive, you feel evey bite, nice backbone for bass, but soft enough for walleye. Bought at LeBaron

Reel is super smoth, pure titanium un-bendable bail, magnetic bail trip, no sping, and VERY smooth drag. Comes with spare alum spool. LeBaron. They don't make this chrome model anymore, but they still make the PTi20, but it's dark grey.

Reel: Daiwa: Tierra 2500, Exceler 2500, Steez 2500, Dawia are great. :worthy:

Shimano :dunno: Truthfully I am not a Shimano guy, but I do like the Sedona 2500

What not to buy:

1 - Lower end Abu Garcia rods, reels

2 - Mitchell, many bad reviews.

3 - Bass Pro reels. Rods are good though

4 - Any reel under $60, I've had them all.

Edited by DanielM

For under $200 total? Pfleuger President reel. A good, dependable mid range reel. Not overly expensive $70ish. I"ve put mine through a lot of abuse in 2 years.

As for the rod, if you are fishing walleye more than bass, lighter is better. I use a 5' light or ultralite for walleye. For bass It all depends on the style of fishing. Do you need a finesse rod or a tow truck and 50lb. cable? All I can suggest is find a rod that feels comfortable in your hand and has good sensitivity. There are a lot of good rods out there, and a lot of people have deep brand loyalties.

For cost effective setup for walleye/smallmouth I would look at a Shimano reel and a 6ft Lightning rod medium light action. I like the Spirex reel for the fastcast feature. You get a bit of backlash with that reel but I like them. Never have had a problem with any of my Shimano reels.

My daughter also brought out a rod she bought at Basspro this year that I really liked but I can't remember what it was. :wallbash:

Or you could do like Kemper and build your own rod.

I only use a spinning reel 3 days a year but it's a Shimano Sahara 4000 and for less than $100 it's an excellent reel, and for the amount it gets used it'll probably last me another 70 years :whistling:

I've got it on a Shimano V-rod which is also fantastic but the've been discontinued.

Most of my fishing gear is Shimano and I've never had an issue with any of it.

as far as reels go I would steer clear of anything with Okuma written on it.

I am the proud owner of a $200 + Okuma baitcaster that has been operational for a total of 7 days over the past 2 years, has been sent in for warrantee twice and not fixed and I am now continually being ignored by the Okuma customer service when I try to bring this to their attention.

as far as reels go I would steer clear of anything with Okuma written on it.

I am the proud owner of a $200 + Okuma baitcaster that has been operational for a total of 7 days over the past 2 years, has been sent in for warrantee twice and not fixed and I am now continually being ignored by the Okuma customer service when I try to bring this to their attention.

OMG your still fighting with Okuma. I sent a baitrunner to them about 6 months ago, called them and they can't find it. Called again Thursday, can't find it, OH WELL, they can keep thier Piece of :asshat: reels. I will never buy an Okuma again.

Back to the post. STAY AWAY FROM OKUMA.

Do yourself a favour. If you can wait a few weeks buy the new Shimano Symetre and a 7ft mh Clarus. Both these have been revamped for 2009 and we are getting new inventory soon at Fishing World. They will be a great bang for the buck with quality and also Lifetime warranty on the rod to boot.

Thanks everyone for you input so far.

To Danial: I am really looking to buy new ones. But thanks a lot for your response and offer.

Cheers,

Alex

No problem just a suggestion. Fishing world has a great selection as mentioned. Bass pro has great combos also. Shop around and see what feels good and what suits your needs. Oh, Ya, check the Daiwa stuff out :whistling:

I was gonna say a Shimano Clarus or Compre for your rod. I use a Compre for 99% of my fishing it's a medium heavy and i was suprised this summer at the lodge how sensitive it actually was. For your applications tho, a medium action rod would do the trick. Shimano reel for sure. I have beat the HELL out of an old Sedona and she still lives...retired, but lives. Currently i have a Sahara 4000 on the rod. I'd say any one of their reels starting at the Sedona and ending at the Stradic.

that's my 2 cents.

-R-

Combo for under $200 that I am happy with....

Fenwick HMXS 7 Medium $80.00

PFlueger Trion GX-7 4740GX $40

Should leave you enough $ to fill both spools :)

We have 3 of the Pfluegers in the house and they have been used for just about everything. If you are interested, here is a link to some reviews on the reels.

Pflueger Trion

I was gonna say a Shimano Clarus or Compre for your rod. I use a Compre for 99% of my fishing it's a medium heavy and i was suprised this summer at the lodge how sensitive it actually was. For your applications tho, a medium action rod would do the trick. Shimano reel for sure. I have beat the HELL out of an old Sedona and she still lives...retired, but lives. Currently i have a Sahara 4000 on the rod. I'd say any one of their reels starting at the Sedona and ending at the Stradic.

that's my 2 cents.

-R-

Compre is a very good choice for the money!!!

i use stradic 3000fi with 7' Compre M action rod, the best combo for senko and jerk bait.

I have two set-ups that I use for most of my fishing. They are:

A Daiwa Exceler 2500 with a Cabela's 7' Tourney Trail Med/fast rod and,

A Daiwa Exceler 1500 with a Cabela's 6'6" Tourney Trail Med/fast rod.

I have just ordered another Exceler 2500 (from LeBaron) and a BP Bionic Blade (on sale, Bass Pro) 7' Med/fast.

I put Fireline Crystal 14lb. on all and use a 15lb. Flouro leader (about 3’ long)

I love those Cabela’s rods but they just got weird about shipping to Canada, so I am giving Bass Pro’s rod a try.

Jim

I am semi withdrawing my comments about Okuma, citing that I have recieved helpful contact as of right now.

but still took too long

I have to say shimano rocks, nothing I own from them has ever busted

OK this is weird. Did you pee off Okuma on my behalf. I went to get the mail and find that blue tag with a key on it for 2B, I open it up and there is a box with Okuma as the sender, open it up and it's my Avenger baitrunner all fixed like new. What the hell. There was a Customs note on it and apperentley they held the package for some damn reson.

Sorry to hi jack the thread :blahblah1: , this is weird. LOL :unsure:

Go with any BPS spinning combo, i got their cheep $39 Mega Tournament combo and it has worked amazing. The reel is super smooth and the rod has held up nice to pleanty of big bass, several pike a musky and now a big Salmon. For the cheep price of this combo i wonder just how good the more expensive BPS combos are.

GO WITH BASS PRO SHOPS

Mike :D