trolling motor bracket

Rizzo

I'm not the most mechanical guy, but I was quite excited to install a mounting bracket and trolling motor on my new boat. I got the same minn kotta I had on the last boat (powerdrive) and the matching bracket. I see they have changed the bracket style in the last few years. I was sweating buckets mounting that bracket getting it nice and tight so that the screws won't have any room to wiggle around and eventually make the bracket loose. When it came time to place the motor on the bracket, it was next to impossible. There is a handle that passes horizontally through the motor bracket and then through the mounted bracket. This is what holds the two together. Well I had mounted that bracket so tight to the boat I couldn't push the handles through the holes as they no longer lined up! What to do? Loosen the bracket I had worked so hard to make "flush" with the boat? No way, ended up applying enough downward pressure on the motor so that the holes lined up again. Do you think standing on your motor voids a warranty??? I'm hoping by keeping the motor in this position for some time it will flatten the carpet out and next time won't be such the ordeal! Either way, I prefer the old style bracket where the motor slid in rather than this one where it fits over top.

Hi Rizzo,

I had a similar problem earlier this year when I mounted mine (Minn Kota Maxxum), though I could get my handle to go in if I worked at it enough.....but if I remember correctly there was a section in the manual for the bracket that mentioned what to do if this happened......I believe it mentioned running a certain size drill through the holes......but best to check the manual. If you dont have one I think I still have mine here somewhere....I could look it up if you like..........just let me know and Ill see if I can find it.

Is this like the one you have Rizzo?

2934555120086105662IltocJ_th.jpg

2408110030086105662urDqGX_th.jpg

Bill

Edited by bassboy

I'm not familier with the bracket or your boat but... is it possible that your mounting on an uneven surface and when you bolted down the bracket, it conformed to the surface and mis-aligned the holes? I know my bow cover(?) is slightly curved and a flat bracket would not sit flush to the mounting surface.

-Brian

I did the same thing this year, but there are rubber washers that come with the mount. You put them underneath it and it brings the biscuit high enough to be able to push the pins through.

ah yes, this would make sense. That was the problem, that the biscuit or puck or whatever you want to call it sits too tightly to the boat. raise it up and voila.

bassboy, my 'puter is taking too long to see your full-size photo but I think its the one. the bracket is just a black rectangle basically