Question about why I lost two Spoons?

Mattones

This is a n00b question but it will help me know what I was doing wrong?

So lastnight I was at port Credit after buying some new Lures and a package of Berkley Steelon Wire Wound leaders.

I figured if i catch a Salmon chances are it won't break the line.

on my third cast my line broke with a spoon on it. I reeled in only to notice the connection where my line ties into the leader where left and the spoon and the wire where gone. This happend twice in a row. Am I casting too hard or should i not be using a lure with the wire leader? or are chances it was a bad package?

Thanks ahead of time

gallery_9_87_3091.jpg

Edited by Spiel

Bad explanation..is the complete wire leader gone or is the swivel part still attached to the line? If the swivel is still attached, then it's a case of bad leaders, if everything is gone it's most likely a case of "you didn't wet the line while tying the knot" or "lousy knot tyer". Learn to tie a Palomar knot, I haven't had one fail yet.

I'd be inclined to think the crimp failed. It would require a lot of damage to the wire for it to break.

You don't need a leader for what you're doing, try tying direct to a good snap/swivel or use a split ring between the leftover swivel and your spoon.

Yup like Slowpoke sad, bad crimp or just a bad product, probably made you know where. If you're going to use a swivel alone, pay the price and get ball bearing swivels with welded rings, SAMPO and a couple of other companies make them, barrel swivels can hang up and still twist the line.

From what I can see your left with the swivel and the rest of the leader is missing with the spoon. Looks to me like a bad manufacturer crimp on the leader which explains why both went the same way. "Bad Batch"

Little tip,don't run a steel leader when fishing for salmon. Just a snap swivel will do fine when chucking lures. Reason being is Salmon don't have a seraded cutting edge on their teeth like a pike does..They have teeth that are more meant for gripping and pushing around eachother when on their beds so you can get away with using light lines without leaders when fishing for them. Also when offering up roe just tie your egg hook straight to your main line without snaps or swivels. If you must your can attach a micro swivel about 12 inches or more up the line from the hook to reduce line twist.....

Good Luck !!

Leaders are really unnecessary for salmon fishing. Their teeth are pretty much incapable of cutting your line. I tie direct with a barrel swivel. This also helps with the visibility factor - though I don't think salmon care much.

no need for a leader when chucking lures for salmon. get yourself a quality snap/swivel if casting spoons to prevent line twist and some decent line. i personally like braid. if you're serious about it, a quality baitcasting reel with a medium action rod in the 9ft range can't be beat.