Buck Tails

Casey123

Just getting ready to start tying some jigs for winter brookies and walleye. Before I purchase some more buck tails, I was wondering if any of the hunters on the board have some extra's from previous years, or would be willing to set aside this years tails for me. It is illegal for me to purchase them from you, I could however say thanks with some new jigs or some nice hand made in line spinners.

Michelle and I have been making our own spinners , jigs and flies for a few years now.

4reel

I would be glad to let my buddies know to keep a few and I will keep any that I get this year.

Would love to get a couple of Bucktail jigs or whatever, I have just started to use them for

Walleye and they work great.

Haven't been to confident with them until I went out with a Bass Pro Bud of mine this summer and we slayed the Eyes on Balsam.

I have been making my own Bucktail jigs for over 30 years. I go to where someone butchers deer during the hunting season and get them there.

I like ALL BLACK bucktail jigs for walleye and smallmouth bass so I boil the tails in a black dye.

Remember when you tie the jigs up DON'T cut off the ends to adjust the size. You must cut the other end that was attached to the tail itself to adjust the length. And no eyes are need if you make black jigs.

Bob

I think the rule is in place to prevent poaching. Just like how it is illegal to sell angler cought fish or roe.

Thanks DANIMAL & Bernie, that makes sense, this is the 1st time I've ever heard of it being illegal.

Edited by lew

Do what I do bud, go to your local furrier and ask/beg them for their scraps.

They're throwing them out anyway.

No bucktails but lots of other cool stuff like rabbit, fox, mink, etc...

Been doing that for years.

Hey solopaddler, you are smart.

I did the same thing about 6 years ago on a Saturday when we had lots of snow here in Oakville and I had nothing to do.

I phoned a furrier and informed him what I was looking for. He told me to come down to his store in one hour. I ended up with 3 super market bags full of a variety of hair and fur. A lot of it was junk but a lot of it was excellent. There was lots of dubbing of all colours. The pieces were irregular in shape but so what.

What I do not know is if the stuff is good for dry flies since the stuff has been processed with chemicals. At least it is good for nymphs.

That Saturday I also looked through the yellow pages looking for "wild birds farms". I found one in the Kitchener/Waterloo area. I asked if they had any dead birds like pheasant. They had and I was going to pick up several the following week but come Monday, a fellow came to my front door late in the evening with 3 BIRDS - I did not have to spend gas and time - good service.

carp-starter

lew

I do not know why it is illegal to BUY a buck-tail. If anything, it would be illegal to SELL. Deer are not protected like raptors where it is not legal to even possess a feather from birds like owl, falcon and etc - except in certain situations - possession of such feathers by native people for ceremonial purposes..

Considering there is so much money being passed on under the table, I do not think anyone would get caught paying under the table for a couple of buck-tails.

In any case, buck-tails cost only about 5 bucks.

Guys,

Thanks for all the great tips.

The request was made in an effort to recycle some of the tails that would be left in the bush or end up in landfill. A low quality tail only costs 5.99 and a high quality, died tail can be had for 11.99.

I like the idea of of furrier for some of my other furs. I do have some traper friends who are pretty good with fox, mink etc. I usaully harvest my own squirrel tails from the guys that don't make it accross the road in time.

I really enjoy tying and catching fish with my own creations. It is something to do in the winter when we can't get out on the ice. If you have never tried, it is a lot of fun. You can buy all the basic tools for about $75.00 - A cheap vice, 2 bobins, decent scissors, a hackle, finishing whip etc.

Depending what you are intrested in tying, you can either buy the basics locally - hooks, feathers etc at a place like Grind Stone in Waterdown or if you want to make some jigs a place like Jann's NetCraft is a good place to start.

:thumbsup_anim::clapping: ch312

I have my tails now made into, huge pike flies. I have them just incase. :whistling:

hmmm...i think if you used a whole red fox tail and turned it into a "buck tail" spinner, it may be good for the BIG muskie? lol.

mepps will actually send you 1 spinner for every 10 squirrel tails you send them. checked it out on their site a couple years ago but never got around to trying it out.