Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
Spiel

Crooks’ Hollow Dam to be decommissioned

Recommended Posts

Crooks’ Hollow Dam to be decommissioned

 

 

HCA News - September 2008

 

 

Hamilton Conservation Authority’s first official project, Crooks’ Hollow Conservation Area, will soon undergo a historical transformation. It was a reluctant decision, but HCA’s directors approved recommendations to decommission the dam, which has been a part of the community for nearly 100 years.

 

First constructed in 1913, the Crooks’ Hollow Dam and reservoir were used primarily as a water source for the Town of Dundas. Since then, residents have enjoyed the reservoir (pictured at left) recreationally for swimming, fishing and nature appreciation. The Spencer Creek Conservation Authority leased the dam from Dundas PUC in 1964, and historical Crooks’ Hollow (running from the ruins of the Darnley Mill to the Greensville Optimist Park) became SCCA’s first official conservation area.

 

The dam no longer serves its original purpose and currently requires corrective rehabilitation having several deficiencies in the spillway and wingwalls. Repair costs are estimated in the millions. After public input and a Class Environmental Assessment, it was determined that the best option was to decommission the dam, ensuring public safety and removing the threat of dam failure and downstream flooding.

 

The Crooks’ Hollow reservoir will be returned to its natural state and the trail system will be unaffected. HCA’s Board of Directors recognized the historical significance of the dam within the community and agreed to place historical displays within the conservation area to honour its importance as a local landmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...