Rod builders!?

kemper

This is a general adress to anyone out there who has rod building experience. I am in the market for a new float rod, but I have decided that if I am going to spend the money I would rather build my own rod.

How hard is the process of buying a spey blank (Im dreaming of 12'6", 7wt) and tying it up to be a float rod?

Can I purchase the float rod accessory kit and tie it onto the spey blank?

thanks

This is a general adress to anyone out there who has rod building experience. I am in the market for a new float rod, but I have decided that if I am going to spend the money I would rather build my own rod.

How hard is the process of buying a spey blank (Im dreaming of 12'6", 7wt) and tying it up to be a float rod?

Can I purchase the float rod accessory kit and tie it onto the spey blank?

thanks

The process is easy, pick your blank, buy your components and build it LOL!

Seriously it's no big deal, the only thing is many warranties are voided when you do a float rod build on a spey blank.

Sage is one of the very few that will still honour their warranty when you do this.

If you need help deciding on exactly what components to use feel free to pm me.

In many cases blanks and components can be purchased online easily and cheaply..

Speaking of a 121/2' 7wt, here's mine: Sage 6126, 121/2', 6/7wt.

I had it built with oversized S.I.C. fly rod guides so that I could throw my centrepin on it and switch from flyfishishing to floatfishing as the mood strikes. (fantastic rod btw)

SPEY002.jpg

Not hard if you have access to components. There are a few places online where you can get components and blanks. I'm not aware of any companies that sell rod building kits for float rods. In the past I've always bought blanks, guides, reel seats, cork, etc separate (not in a kit).

Like Solopaddler mentioned, most companies don't honour warranties if you do the spey/float conversion thing. I think Sage is the only company out there that does.

I've built 1 spey conversion for a friend on a Sage VT2 blank - 13' 7wt. Not sure if the blank is available anymore but it's a relatively inexpensive blank compared to other models out there. I think he paid around $240 for the blank or somewhere around that. The Z-Axis seems to be the "in" blank at the moment. It is definitely a sexy blank - really light too with a fast action (if you're looking for that).

a big thanks to all, especially solo who is pretty much a waterfall of rod building knowledge!

im currently looking for a canadian distributor of rod blanks, or an american one that will let me ship by road and not plane (cost is too high)

any ideas?

Angling Specialties - Scarborough or Concord location. They have a few Sage spey blanks in stock. Best word of advice is to buy in Canada if you can.

Some of the larger rod building suppliers in the States don't ship blanks to Canada by ground and the with the ones that do, expect to get raped by customs fees, shipping charges, over-sized handling fees, brokerage fees, etc. If you do order from the States, avoid using UPS as they charge noticeably higher fees over Fed-ex. I must just be unlucky but I've never had a great experience ordering blanks from the States.

Thanks everyone, I have found a place right in Guelph with everything I need thanks to OFC once again.

Huge thanks to solo for getting me hooked up

project: chrome thunder commences monday

updates will be posted, steel will be slaughtered (and released of course)

Thanks everyone, I have found a place right in Guelph with everything I need thanks to OFC once again.

Huge thanks to solo for getting me hooked up

project: chrome thunder commences monday

updates will be posted, steel will be slaughtered (and released of course)

"Project: chrome thunder" LOL!

Glad to be of help, it's nice to see your kind of enthusiasm.