He still swam away after a deep hook.

BeRad3000

I unhooked the snap off the spoon, had the camera pre ready snapped two quick picks and got to work. We had a spreader and long nose pliers.

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

He had the spoon right in the what i call the tongue, he was already bleeding a little bit but i got the hook out quickly. Should i be cutting the hook in this instance? He did swim away, which makes me happy.

The tongues usually no problem, if it's deeper in the throat it's a problem or in the gills is bad too, I usually only cut hooks if the fishes mouth is glued shut with a treble or if you can't pull it out with reasonable force or it's to deep in the throat to reach without ripping something. Not much more you can do other than trying to set the hook quicker but sometimes they just swallow it, and try to do the surgery before any pictures and in the water/net if possible, bout all you can do.

If it's really bad to the point where you think it's going to die just eat it, I usually fish the same area for at least 20-30min after a big fish release to make sure it doesn't float up, if it does try to revive it again or worst case take it home.

Oh, and nice fish. :)

Edited by GbayGiant

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice pike. Looks like a good hook set to me. That fish no doubt swam away fine. I wouldn't worry about it, and even if it didn't? It happens. Nothing you can do.