G Bay/Lake Huron

Casey123

Michelle and I spent the day between Collingwood and Wiarton looking for fish. The Big Head has a few starting to show up in the mouth - We don't like fishing here as it is a marina/harbour. We saw a few jumping in Coplsy Bay and in the Owen Sound, but it is still a week or so to early.

Just wanted to save others the trip.

I'll chime in with the Notty being a bit warm still but few salmon have been caught over the past weekend (all that I know of anyways).

A quick note to those to remember to bring the waders, the water is higher than last year and there isn't much space unless you're in the water.

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

Also, GB fisherman, leave your high hopes at home. As has been documented, the numbers are way down in the Bay. Just ask anyone that fished the Owen Sound Derbies. There are still fish out there but each year they get smaller and fewer. To bad this was a great fishery, perhaps the best in Ontario, upto 5 years ago. Reasons for decline - many. That being said, hope to see you on the Notty soon.

Also, GB fisherman, leave your high hopes at home. As has been documented, the numbers are way down in the Bay. Just ask anyone that fished the Owen Sound Derbies. There are still fish out there but each year they get smaller and fewer. To bad this was a great fishery, perhaps the best in Ontario, upto 5 years ago. Reasons for decline - many. That being said, hope to see you on the Notty soon.

I can second that, 5-6 years the nooks were stacked 4-5 layers deep in a location I have been checking every year since and they have been steadily declining and getting smaller as you said. This year, I have seen 4 fish so far, pathetic really. Would love to chime in over the reasons, but that may get heated. Hopefully the bows are comin soon and plentiful. Too bad they are smaller due to the same reasons the salmon are not even there Cheers,

I stopped by Algoma Mills this afternoon and there wasn't a thing moving as far out as I could see. Not a splash or a roll. I did hear that pinks were in the Mississaugi by the hundreds but I didn't feel like going over to Blind River for pinks. Most years you can manage a couple at Algoma Mills before Labour Day.

They are smaller and fewer the last several years and I think it's because there have been too many salmon and they've cleaned up their food supply. Smelt runs are poor and I don't know how long it's been since I've seen an alewife.

They'll cycle back just like they did in Lake O. some years ago. I remember all the talk about how few and small the salmon were in Lake O. then and it was attributed to lack of feed. There was lots of talk on both sides of the border about cutting back on the salmon stocking programs.

Well to add to the others above, I can confirm that the numbers are miserably low and very small fish. The Pine runs through where I work and I have ample time to check the river and speak with the guys, I would say the average size of the fish I've seen are no more than 5-6lbs with the very very odd one around 10.