Sugarpacket vs BigBassRich!!!

Sugarpacket

This morning BBR and I headed out for some early fall bass fishing in one of our local lakes. First we took Splenda to grandma's house so he could be spoiled while we spoiled ourselves with so much needed bass action!

Before we left on our drive BBR said "Why don't we make a bet? Whoever catches the biggest bass wins and the other has to do the dishes" So I don't know if you have been following my Large mouth success rate but to sum it up in two words I suck! lol So I'm thinking well not much change I do the dishes normally not much to lose right? So I agree.

We arrive at our spot and launch the ol' filth hound which was full of water from the rain the night before, so we grab two discarded cups (thank you litter bugs!) and take out the water. Since we had loaded up the truck the night before so not to hassle ourselves in the morning all our gear was wet! Our life jackets plastics bag and tackle bag all soaked!(as if lifting that beast wasn't hard enough add about 10 or 20 pounds of wet gear!!) After we got the boat launched the motor mounted and the truck locked BBR turns to me and says "Wheres the camera?" We both look at his soaked tackle bag with horrified looks on our faces. I reached in and grabbed the camera it was full of water so i tried my hardest to dry it off but to no avail it's broken! Which of course ment the fishing would be awesome! It usually is when you don't have a camera am I right? Luckily we had our cell's so we still did but we weren't going to let the fish know!

We started out the trip fishing up shallow in heavy coverage using slow retrieval techniques with our senkos and spinnerbaits. We both got a couple bumps and BBR had a couple nibbles but nothing took the bait!(hahaha) So as I was adjusting my bait caster (aka. taking out the huge backlash, still getting use to the thing) my senko seemed to have gotten hung up on a log so I didn't worry about it I was just trying to fix my reel anyways and I had cast in a bad spot. When I finally got my line straight (hahaha) I started reeling in my senko (well reaming I should say) and BBR says "Uh you do realize your line is moving against the current right? You've got a fish on!!!!" Of course surprised intellectual words sprang from my mouth I dare not write down and I set the hook after a five second fight (it was right beside the boat when BBR spotted it) I pulled up my new personal best!! (doesn't take much! lol) Now BBR didn't pack the scale so I'm not sure how big it is I just know its the biggest I've caught!

5-2.jpg

After a few more uneventful hours of pounding that side of the shore line BBR and I decided to to give the other side of the lake a shot, still using the slow retrieval techniques. It wasn't until I had cast to a bad spot and was reeming in my spinnerbait when a small maybe 1 pounder smashed my bait! Unfortunately the spry little scoundrel eluded me but it clued BBR and I into what we had been doing long for the past 3-4 hours!!! The cold front must not have had that much of an impact from the past few day's storms since they were very active and didn't like the slow moving patterns so when the switch flipped we changed our presentation and retrieval, Still fishing the shallows since the water levels were high and the fish were following their food, but changing from natural colours to reaction strike brights (pink!!) and speeding up our retrieval. It wasn't long after that BBR pulled in his first bucketmouth of the day!

4-2.jpg

Nothing big but showed that it has the genes to be big in a couple more years. Not long after that he hauled in another a little bigger but since we were using our cells we didn't want to waste our batteries so we only took a couple pic's all day! (sorry) By this time things were looking pretty good for me but it had been a long time since I hooked my biggie and I was growing impatient. I was contemplating picking up the book I brought when the thought was thrown from my mind I had just hooked my second bass of the day!!! (very rare) after pounding the shore for a little while longer BBR and I decided to try somewhere new.

After going to every gas bar we saw trying to buy corn/ locate this pond we heard about we finally found a store and the pond!! We noticed a dam that looked perfect for some wind down easy fishing and headed down. First cast BBR manages to pull out a nice sized perch. Now we had switched to our ultra lights and basic gear for this just to fish for fun normally we would bring Spenda but since hes just walking and I almost fell getting down there we're thinking maybe in a couple years. Within 10 or 15 mins BBR and I had pulled out perch, blue gill, a very tiny large mouth, bull heads, white suckers and this little feller (BBR's PB)

3-1.jpg

It wan't long after that BBR then hooked up with the little guys momma(haha) and boy was that a fight. Compared to the bass we caught today that fight made me want to take some corn to my old carpin' spot. This fish darted up stream through branches around rocks it was intense!! we were using #10 hooks and 6 lb test so we were sure that every move she made that line would snap or the hook would bend but they didn't, he pulled her in and again no scale but a decent size for such a small creek and god what a fight had me on the edge of my seat!

2-3.jpg

After that we decided we will have to try our new spot when the sun isn't setting to see what more it has to offer, since it was getting late and Splendas sugar high would be wearing off and he would need to get to bed. Now again BBR and I apologize for the lack of pictures and I apologize for the not so colourful report but its midnight and I'm tired so I guess I'll have to do one next time! So until then get off your computer and go fishing!!!!

So I don't know if you have been following my Large mouth success rate but to sum it up in two words I suck! lol

I can soo relate to that comment! lol

Loved the report as always :thumbsup_anim: Not only did you win the bet but with a really great fish!! Keep the reports coming

Great report, and congrats on your PB. :clapping: Sure would like to see a picture of Rick doing a pile of dishes, say Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner :whistling: :whistling:

BBR, maybe with your record, you should not be making bets, 'cause she's gonna kick your :asshat:

John