My Dilemma

chickenhawk

Heres my dilemma,

I've talked to 2 lodges.....1 in British Colombia and the other in Newfoundland about being a hunting guide and basically they said they need someone pretty bad and wanted me to come......but I have also applied to college in January.....so basically I have to choose between hunting grizzlies and mountain goats or papers and books. I know school is important but its just sooooooooo tempting.......what do you guys think i should do??? im going fishing tomorrow to think about it lol but seriously would love any advice.....

Thanx,

Hawk

i say go with the education. the older you get, the harder it is to go back to school. with a solid education you will be able to pick and choose your jobs alot more easily. like tg said a good job may make it able for you take these trips for yourself and let some other young buck pack your game out of the bush when you get older.

jason

I think you should go and take the guide job. Hands on education is better in my opinion. If that's something you want to do in the future, or something along that line, a hands on resume looks better than a piece of paper with no experience.

I know handfuls and handfuls of educated young men and women working at Timmies.

Just my opinion.

Joey

Education!

You can be a fishing guide in the summer, and still get in a spring bear season in Sask or another province if your after the hunting aspect. All the while doing the schooling thing. You can always guide next year, lodges will still be looking for guides.

-R-

I'm inclined to go with the majority and say school, because there's nothing more important, but then that'd be pretty hypocritical.

Most of my 20's and early 30's were spent working various menial jobs just long enough to finance my next expedition.

Then I woke up and realized I couldn't live like this for the rest of my life. It would be a pretty lonely and tough existence....so things changed in a big way.

Looking back I wouldn't change a thing though, I feel fortunate to have experienced the things that I have.

Saying that, I'd say go hunting in BC man! You're still young so it's not like you're throwing your life away.

Go to school the next term...

Went to work right out of high school. Got caught up in a job, stuck with it , liked the money. Then came a new car, a house, an ex-wife and..........payments. Hmmmmmmm. Finally went to college at 28 years old. My advise? Go hunting. Just don't get caught and wait too long getting back to the books.

I've always thought that everyone should have at least one great "adventure" in their lives before they settle down to a job, mortgage, and raising families, cause once you get into that position it's often difficult to find the time or $$$$ to do it until later in life.

Myself, I knew from an early age that I was gonna spend my life as a fireman in Toronto, but I also wanted that big "adventure" before settling down so I followed in my Dad's footsteps and went into the Navy for a few years first where I saw and did places and things that I would probably never have the opportunity to afterwards.

I say take some time off now and become a guide on whichever coast you want, or take 2 years and spend time on both sides of the country, then come back and get whatever education you need for whatever it is that you want to do with the rest of your life and I think you'll be far better off for it.

Too many folks come outta school and straight into the work force, then get locked into something for the rest of their lives without ever fullfilling their wanderlust and often regret it.

Go guiding and live in the bush for a couple years and you'll have tales of adventure to tell your kids and grandkids for many year to come.

As Joey indicated, there's far more to learn in this world than what you'll get from a book or classroom :Gonefishing:

BAsed on your age, which I am assuming is still quite young, I have to agree with Lew and Joey. Burn out that youthful enthusiasm doing something you really like. You can always go back to school, and you may find yourself much more successful at school, after you have been there and done that so to speak, you may have an even better idea about what it is that you will eventually do.

I have never seen a company hire a resume! I have never seen a company "hire a degree". They hire people and taking a year or two to "find yourself" or simply evaluate your options may put you in much better shape during the interview process as you will have had some REAL WORLD experience to draw from.

Companies almost always prefer hands on experience and life skills are not something you can learn in school.

HH

The choice is simple.

What do you want to do with your life?

What level of success do you want to achieve?

If you want to guide as a profession then take that route

Or would you like to own a lodge and have people work for you instead..

The choice is simple.

What do you want to do with your life?

What level of success do you want to achieve?

If you want to guide as a profession then take that route

Or would you like to own a lodge and have people work for you instead..

Hmm.... I don't know.

Personally if I was young and had a dream to own a lodge I'd wager learning the ins and outs as a guide would be a good first step.

Understand what you're saying though and that you're using the lodge example as an analolgy, but still in chickenhawks case I'd bet guiding would help him further along his career choice.

As a 19 year old, new to the scene, first year hunting guide, be prepared to hit nails, carry kills from the bush, cut wood, haul wood and set out bear baits. Some highly qualified guides have been surprised by how little actual guiding they do. Sometimes it takes several years to reach the level they expected at day one.

What you expect to be doing and what your actual daily assignment will be can be miles apart.

I'm talking about people I know, not people I've heard about.

I say if you're young and the chances of you going to school afterwards is extremely high, then do what you want. If you're not young or you might not go back to school after your guiding, then go to school. Sure there are a lot of educated people with menial jobs, and there are a lot of "uneducated" people that are affluent, but on balance, education is an investment. Of course there are exceptions, but without question that, on average, education leads to not only better income, but a higher quality of life as one has more options.

But I also agree with Lew, and that life's short, so have fun. Just make sure you get yourself sorted out eventually, and not too late in life.

I'm with Dan....education first....the fun stuff later.

And since when is education and fun mutually exclusive? Didn't you go to UWO? ;)

Chickenhawk, school also isn't just about the books. Not only is it fun, but it can be really practical as well. Think about this: a lot of your friends will be in the same school and program. A lot will have similar career paths. School can really open up doors after you graduate. I know I have made some important connections at school that have helped me professionally, and I always try to reciprocate with past school friends who need help to. Kind of like Nancur's post on his new house (congrats), and how many on OFC generously offered appliances. You'll have a college network that might just come in handy when you're looking for that sweet job.