Why does salmon have more slime and is more smelly than rainbow?

Guest Fishing For Life

Well, I am certainly not a fish biologist I would guess there are a few reasons for this...

1. Although members of the salmonid family, they are not the same fish. We are all humans but do not have the same scent, hair color etc. All fish have some sort of slime coating and smell different from one species to the next.

2. Perhaps the smell of the particular salmon you are referring to might be related to the fact that these fish are preparing to spawn and nearing the end of their life cycle, they lose the slime coating that helps protect them; their skin becomes thick and leathery, and they absorb their scales. These fish are breaking down.

Guest Fishing For Life

I wonder what it will be like if salmon season is switched with rainbow season ..

would people still like trout fishing more?

Some steelheaders dont fish for salmon because they are UGLIER and MUCH MORE difficult

to control whereas trout is more "managerable"

what do you think?

Hmmmmnnn, shore fishermen=pond scum. That's quite the generalization that may be offensive to those that aren't graced with a boat. It is true that there are some bad eggs on shore, but I can point you to some boaters that are bad eggs as well.

I am sure the people on this board aren't the said.."pond scum", but I guarantee you over the next couple weeks we will hear lots of stories about the garbage that lines the banks during the annual "salmon angler" migration :lol: ..yep you are right there are alot of ijuts in boats too, people should lighten up and not take little wize cracks as shots at people on the board :dunno: ....if these kind of idiots where on the board here, I am sure they wouldn't last too long ;):Gonefishing:

Some steelheaders dont fish for salmon because they are UGLIER and MUCH MORE difficult

to control whereas trout is more "managerable"

Come visit the Lake Huron tribs and see how managable fall steel can be :lol:

All I can say is you better go to the gym and get in shape for these rockets..........

I am sure the people on this board aren't the said.."pond scum", but I guarantee you over the next couple weeks we will hear lots of stories about the garbage that lines the banks during the annual "salmon angler" migration :lol: ..yep you are right there are alot of ijuts in boats too, people should lighten up and not take little wize cracks as shots at people on the board :dunno: ....if these kind of idiots where on the board here, I am sure they wouldn't last too long ;):Gonefishing:

You know JWL, I dont want to highjack this thread. But there are a million things wrong with generalizing a particular seasonal angler for their misgivings. Yes, you here stories of garbage this time of year. But throughout the year you hear stories of "new canadians" being thrown off bridges for reasons event specific or no reason at all, they just fit the stereotype. Just horrible actions caused by many of the stereotypes created that is making this sport increasingly exclusionary.

Comments such as this and others should have no place on this board and only promotes attitudes and stereotyopes that lead us down a dark path. I would advocate using the knowledge of responsible angling to educate and incorporate rather than exclude.

Don't get me wrong, I can tell a wize crack when I see one, I have given and received such in turn and all in good fun. I dont take personal offense to your statement, but see it as detrimental to the ideals we should be promoting. A comment made public that generalizes, villifies and prejudices a group as a whole is just wrong...wizecrack or not.

You know JWL, I dont want to highjack this thread. But there are a million things wrong with generalizing a particular seasonal angler for their misgivings. Yes, you here stories of garbage this time of year. But throughout the year you hear stories of "new canadians" being thrown off bridges for reasons event specific or no reason at all, they just fit the stereotype. Just horrible actions caused by many of the stereotypes created that is making this sport increasingly exclusionary.

Comments such as this and others should have no place on this board and only promotes attitudes and stereotyopes that lead us down a dark path. I would advocate using the knowledge of responsible angling to educate and incorporate rather than exclude.

Don't get me wrong, I can tell a wize crack when I see one, I have given and received such in turn and all in good fun. I dont take personal offense to your statement, but see it as detrimental to the ideals we should be promoting. A comment made public that generalizes, villifies and prejudices a group as a whole is just wrong...wizecrack or not.

If you people notice...none of these wize cracks from many members of the board in regards to the same subjects are actually directed at any board member, race,creed,walk of life, age ect..look at the board right now, there are already topics starting about all the idiot things that happen to people,people see or hear of along the way and it's just the beginning of this fall season...fishing isn't even remotley good yet. I can't wait to see some of the stories that people have to tell once the word gets out that there are actually fish loading all these areas.

Why take offence if you are not one of the offenders??,all people are doing is sharing observations, and points of view with fellow members of the board who have the same opinion about the same topics...we all know for every one member logged on the board there is probably 50 non-members lurking in the background waiting for the guys who already did the leg work, have spent many years fishing areas figuring out the hot fish catching patterns for different times of year to turn around, make a post about it, then they read up on a board like this...and go invade your favorite fishing hole, it's people like us and boards like this that are inadvertantly teaching these guys where to go. Try this out some time...take some old photos of a great day fishing at a specific area, make a fake fishing post about it then watch the place for the next couple days after...I guarantee you it will be full of idiots within a day or so crawling out of the woodwork......it's been done before to prove this exact point.

If anything, by sharing different opinions and points of view on the open forum...it gives these lurker rejects who are ruining our fishing holes and making us good guys look bad a bit of insite that there are people who care about the rescources we have in Ontario, and won't just idley stand by and watch them go down the drain. It also is a good way of informing people who are newer to this sport and some of these issues a bit of insite to an uglier side of fishing that many don't see...tips off people to areas where poaching is taking place,people's things are being vandalized or stolen, that there may be a group of people in the area causing trouble ect.

If for example, there is a post on here that someone had there car broken into and they post about the bad experience, or the example the other day of a quiet fishing trip getting ruinned by some yahoos that came and took over the fishing hole..does that mean we are pointing fingers at all the members on this board cuz we on this board are car thieves or inconsiderate jerks out to ruin your fishing day??? I don't think so, it's not the members of this board who are the culprits..so why is it that it's the members of this board that get so offended by comments that people make in regards to some of the idiots out there????

Don't take it to heart folks,take it for what it is...a fellow member sharing some insite of the wrong-doings they see while they are out there enjoying some of our favorite activities...what do ya want a fishing board full of a couple quick pics so we can brag about the catch of the day with no reports...or some insite be it good or bad into what is really happening in and around or waterways as we enjoy our angling experiences along the way?????

It doesn't matter what part of the universe these idiots are from, if they got green skin and 3 eyes,4 arms so they can snag 2 fish at a time or what...no matter how you look at it...an idiot is an idiot..if enough people started seeing a gang of people wearing pink polka dotted fishing vests every where going around to various fishing holes, keeping everything they hook, being rude to people,littering all over the place,pushing locals out of the spot, and showing that much of a disregard to the area, and the people and rescources that abound there..well hate to say it, but sooner or later you are going to hear about everyone wearing pink polka dotted fishing vests getting pushed into the water too, or beaten up or whatever by the local vigilatny justice league no matter what part of the world they are from.

Again, lighten up folks actually read the posts and see that they are not directed at any one of the great members of this board...people like this would no last on a board like this for very long, they would be weeded out and ousted in no time flat....this board is made of of a huge variety of people who all get together for the love of our outdoors and fishing....it's salmon season you are gonna hear lots of complaints and bad reports from all over Ontario..everything from the ole fued of the bottom bouncers VS the pinners,so called fish dentistry AKA flossing, the "marshmellow" arguements,rejects shoving thier way into someones fishing hole...vandalism and theft, and much more....it hasn't even begun to begin yet..everyone should just be aware that these comments, opinions that many are going to share along the way...are not directed at the board members, so why get your panties all up in a bunch over it???

PS sorry to the guy who started this thread of with a valid question, and it got hi-jacked...hope you are getting some of the answers you where actually looking for :Gonefishing:

I apologize for hijacking the thread and will make a comment before retiring the subject (or it gets locked).

The original comment, directed specifically at fall shore salmon fishers, does nothing to advance the purpose or interest of the sport generally.

Any comments made should have this ideal in mind because, as you mentioned, there are lurkers out there. If ya aint got nothin good to say, dont say it is all...before the comments degenerate further down the dark path I mentioned earlier (villifiying a group based on bad experiences of some bad apples, accusing one of wearing panties, etc).

I had enough squabble and I think my point has been made, as has yours. 'nuff said, lets put this one to bed JWL. Your opinion is valid and definately meritous.

Edited by reefrunner

jeez. Ya kinda ruined the allure of sushi there.

Seriously. I guess that's why I like bass fishin'. The two little lakers I caught this summer were some kinda stinky & slimey compared to my neighbourhood smallmouths - but they sure tasted good.

JF