Speed river footballs!

kemper

Today I made my first trek to the speed river for some smallie fishin, and it was DEFINATELY worth it.

Weather was terrible, rainy cold and windy. Water visibility was about nil and I was not expecting much but I wasnt about to give up. I hit the water right below the dam first and accomplished a big fat smelly skunk!

Fishing the pond like area above the damn with a rapala gave me two small snot rocket pike, and a third fish that I will call the pike minnow. It was a pike, but was less than 5 inches long. I would have gotten a picture but I took a while unhooking it and just wanted to see it swim away. Also had a larger pike slam at my lure three times and miss it, but I know where she lives. Headed up river a little more and started tossing a cotton cordell deep diver in a deeper pocket and was quickly rewarded with a HOG 3lb smallie. Having never caught a river bass of this size I had no idea what to expect, but pound for pound it was the hardest fighting fish I have ever encountered. I have pictures but I do not have the camera cords with me here in rez so expect pics next week. I also noticed that right behind my big fish, was an even BIGGER smallie on the follow. My fish went 18" and this follower would have to have been in the 21" range. Ill get him too in time.

Seems like a great little fishery, and I am VERY surprised with the size of the smallies in the system!

Nice Job. They are around. The longest smallmouth I have ever caught outta the speed was 21.5 inches long, was only about 3 pounds though as it was skinny. But fight it did. They are in there for sure. I fish it out by Niska rd. They love poppers at dusk, and i use inline spinners by day. Lots of guys around here fly fish for them as well, if you get out of town a bit where the grass isnt cut there are massive hatches that go on and the smallies just go bananas on the bugs

Hey Kemper...gonna be strange not seeing your reports from our home trib!!!

Good to see you getting out there and finding some fish too....just don't forget to get an education ok?? LOL

Cliff dont worry, Ill be back most weekends through brown/steelhead season this fall and in the spring. You didnt think a little school would keep me from slammin steel did you!?

Good job! Make sure you keep fishing those streams right up until closer, you'll be surprised how big those bass get. The later in the season it seems you almost have to cast onto shore and drag it in.

On a side note go check out the Ranch, statistically the most fun you can half in the 519 areacode