Waterfowl hunting regs

Rattletrap2

I have never hunted, but am curious about the regs.

I was out fishing a back swampy bay on Saturday afternoon. We saw some decoys floating in the swamp, but no hunters were visible in the area. All of a sudden a small aluminum boat comes motoring into the area from the main lake. As the boat approaches the decoys, a flock of geese that had been sitting with the decoys took flight. The four men immediately started shooting while the boat was still motoring towards them. The geese were barely 5 feet off the water at the time, and they dropped three out of four geese.

I see in my search that they were supposed to be stopped with the motor off before shooting, but what are the regs regarding how far off the water the birds are supposed to be? In my opinion, their shooting was dangerous because someone could have been in the tall reeds fishing or hunting and could be shot.

If any of you know the rules, I would like to be educated.

Thanks

They were well within their rights to be shooting them that far off the water,that being said they to be legal are supposed to be ancored with the motor off and out of the water to be legal.As well it shows very poor judgement on their part period to come in like that and start shooting as they should have been set up way ahead of time and been totally aware of their surroundings because you are absolutely correct that someone could get shot with that carlessness shown.Maddening hearing about people doing stupid stunts like this.Gives the legitimate hunters that obey the rules a BIG BLACK EYE.Sorry you had to see this....from those of us that are ethical and law obiding!!!!

BM

Thanks for the reply Bassman!

So the distance off the water is ok, but I agree, who was to know what was just beyond the decoys?

Actually hunting mid afternoon seemed odd in my opinion! I later saw these same guys (boat overloaded with the four of them and all) whooping and hollering as they headed up the lake. Probably heading to another spot where they had some decoys out.

I took a hunting course about 15 years ago but never took up the sport. If I remember correctly, the boat cannot still be in motion from the motor when they begin shooting. I.e. you cannot start shooting as soon as you cut the motor, you have to wait until the motion from the motor stops. I do not believe that they have to be anchored, drifting is okay.

I don't think that it is legal to have a loaded firearm in the boat while it is under power.

I am going on 15 year old memories and the laws may have changed. However, I am certain that they have broken at least one and probably more laws.

Yeah that was dick move on their part. Have to be stopped as mentioned above. Hunting in the after noon isn't too common, but the other day my buddy had flocks moving all day so they didnt leave till about 1pm. Whenever you can get out i guess.

-R-

Definitely illegal to be shooting out of a moving boat. As with all sports/hobbies unfortunately a few bad apples put a bad spin and rap on the entire community. With fishing it's the thug trib fisherman and snaggers. Have seen many violations while out hunting or fishing and always report hem to the TIPS line/MNR. Don't turn a blind eye to poachers of any kind, it's the only way to clean up our sports, report them. And , apologies from this hunter, that you had to experience this from these poachers.

Heres the answer to your fisrt part, it is illegal to shoot from a moving boat. The law does not state that a boat has to be anchored and motor out of the water, its up to the MNR officer discretion. I have never got the same answer from 2 differant mnr officers yet.

1111.jpg

There is no law that states waterfowl must be off the water to shoot them its just ethics. There is also no law that states you cannot leave decoys unatended.

Yes, what they did was clearly illegal and just plain stupid.

Don't think there's anything wrong with nailing the geese as they're taking off, as long as it's safe to do so and not done from a moving, motorized vehicle.

IDIOTS !!!

Guys like this need to lose their license for at least 5 years, pay a hefty fine, lose their boat and do volunteer work to improve migratory bird habitat. Dang !!! Why didn't I become a judge.

Hire more Conservation Officers. We need twice the number we have now.