sunday island lake report

mercforever

first one on the lake,there at 7:30,they only open at 8,fall hours i guess.off at noon soaked to the bone and practically frozen,thank god the fish were biting,landed at least a dozen pike,typical hammer handles,1/2 ounce booyah spinnerbait,,shad pattern,with a 3/0 trailer hook ,which i think is a must,and probably 10 largemouth,honest 2 to 3 lbers,all on 4" senko rigged wacky on a 5/0 hook,blue with purple flake.i dont get it but these dang things are awesome,i dont think color matters.i get my kids to pick the color they like.basically flippin it max 10 ft,sometimes i'd see the line tick,other times the line would just go straight.i'm no bass guru but it sure does build your confidence.had one bass break off,probably 30 more hits attack the spinnerbait,more hammer handles,well worth the drive.one problem,most of the bass caught less than 4 ft of water,they got one direction to go,that's up.good for tv but sucks when you,re paying a buck a bait.if anybody knows how to secure these things to the hook,if at all possible,any info would be appeciated........my neighbor was telling me that i should be running braid when fishinf senkos????

i got power pro on my pike rods,but mono on my bass gear..do bass see the line or even care???

Try wacky rigging them with little elastics, you can find them at Bass pro shops or on their website, you could prob find an o-ring of the same size. You just slide the elastic over the senko to the half way point and then slip your hook between the senko and the elastic/o-ring.

I hope that helps, oh ya and i use braid for senkos and didn't notice a difference.

Guest Johnny Bass

Besides the rain, it sounds like some great fishing. There are some big bass in that lake. I am also considering using braid for my senkos next season. Especially in heavy cover where fish are less spooked.