Fishing Regs Question

mason05

Nope, they asked if everyone had their permits and of coarse they all did and the first one to produce them was charged. The CO said there was nothing stopping them from shooting a moose and tagging it if it walked out of the bush. The fact that it was against the law didn't seem to rate as a deterrent.

And there was nothing stopping the CO from sexually assaulting the hunters....as the old joke goes. I find the story a bit hard to believe. First..who on earth sites in a gravel pit? Do you enjoy shrapnel ricochet?

CO's don't charge you and hope you don't show up. They need their integrity intact with the JP's and if they keep bringing crap charges in, the JP is almost never going to listen to him.

It's very unlikely that anybody will be checking for OOS fish AFTER the season closes, but carrying a trunk full of trout 1 week after the closer is the same as carrying them around 1 week before the opener. How hard is that to understand?

Speaking for myself; I find it very difficult not to see a difference. If someone is transporting fish shortly after teh season closes, there is a high likelyhood that the fish were caught during the season; especially if the person is returning from trip that began prior to the close. Contrast that with a person returning from a trip before the season opens. Is he going to say that he caught them last and took them up to the lodge and is now bringing them back hope? Good luck convincing the CO.

As for being unable to prove that fish being transported out of season were caught during the open season; how is that different then transporting during the open season? You still cannot prove that they were caught during open season, they may have been caught before the season opened; especially if it is early in the season.

You can also look at a scenario where you catch a fish in a WMU where the season is open and then to get home, you must drive through a WMU where the season is closed. Not too often that the ministry would get a DNA test done to try to prove you caught them illegally as long as you're within the legal limit. What about a limit from one area transported through an area where the limit is lower? Legal nightmare for the COs and they know it.

Courts can and have dismissed digital images as evidence because they are so easily manipulated so keep that in mind.As far as transporting your catch you must have a reasonable amount of time to do so from point A to point B. I can't see a problem unless you commit multiple offenses and or be a disrespectful jerk towards the conservation officer.

Wow guys! Thanks for all the tips and suggestions plus the entertaining debate. I think taking some pictures and packing the fish properly is my best bet. I don't forsee coming across a CO in the area I plan to travel as it's quite remote however I want to be sure I'm following the rules and in this instance there appears to be a grey area within the regs. Thanks again.

Corn Nug