Muskie release tools

Pigeontroller

I'm usually one of the guys that promote having proper release tools when Muskie fishing, so when I looked back and saw the back of my boat while fishing solo Labour day weekend I though this would be a good picture to post! I can't stress enough how important a quality landing net is! There are other ways of landing Muskie but for the in-experienced its the only way! Everyone probably has long nose pliers but HOOK CUTTERS are so important! You can buy the best and spend $60+ on Knipex, but a cheaper alternative is Candian tires mini-bolt cutters for $20.

all_ready.JPG

I'm usually one of the guys that promote having proper release tools when Muskie fishing, so when I looked back and saw the back of my boat while fishing solo Labour day weekend I though this would be a good picture to post! I can't stress enough how important a quality landing net is! There are other ways of landing Muskie but for the in-experienced its the only way! Everyone probably has long nose pliers but HOOK CUTTERS are so important! You can buy the best and spend $60+ on Knipex, but a cheaper alternative is Candian tires mini-bolt cutters for $20.

I was running all around Thunder Bay this past summer to all kinds of shops for work related reasons. One place I went into, I saw Knipex cutters(made mental note).

Got the opportunity to go to LOTW's this summer, so off I went back to this shop. About $37.00 for the Knipex cutters. I didn't need them in the end, although I did catch my first Musky.

Apparently the electrician guys love these pliers. They rarely come back to buy new ones because they hold an edge so well.

About $37.00 for the Knipex cutters.

That is a steal and these cutters will last you a long time.

As SlowPoke mentioend you can get decent ones at princess auto or crappy tire but eventually they will give up the ghost. I had a tough time cutting through 7/0 trebles with the mini cutters from CT.

As SlowPoke mentioend you can get decent ones at princess auto or crappy tire but eventually they will give up the ghost. I had a tough time cutting through 7/0 trebles with the mini cutters from CT.

Yup, be prepared to replace them when the blades start to look like a crimping tool :)

I don't know about the "steal", but these are the ones I bought. And I found the receipt, $33.97 for them. About 8 inches long, good grips on them.

Are they the ones people uses for Musky?????

013.jpg

tjsa,

Those are Knipex side/diagnal cutters, they will work for the light stuff but you will have problems down the road cutting 5/0 - 8/0. The ones Raf have pictured are the mini bolt musky anglers use.

My boat will never be without one of these either http://hookpick.com

Edited by Slimeball