What size rod do you prefer for pike?

Breach

In my opinion, the rod used for pike fishing depends entirely on the baits you're using. If the rod can easily cast what you're tying on, the rod is good. Pike aren't running fighters, it's all surge and stop so you can bring in any pike with relatively light line and gear, compared to larger salmon, except pinks. I fished pike more than anything else in my younger years, typically using a ~10# Medium power Medium taper rod and usually used 8-10# mono line, and never felt overpowered.

Where do you plan to use this new rod? If from shore or boat and are you planning on casting long distances? What reel do you have for this rod, size? 20, 30, 40? Why don't you use leaders? Expensive habit! Lures are a lot of money after time. Not using leaders will end up killing a lot of fish.

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Where do you plan to use this new rod? If from shore or boat and are you planning on casting long distances? What reel do you have for this rod, size? 20, 30, 40? Why don't you use leaders? Expensive habit! Lures are a lot of money after time. Not using leaders will end up killing a lot of fish.

FHR

Shore, I dont have a boat. I ended up with a 6'6 med heavy, I couldnt find any 7 footers in MH and also a 2 piece in stock at any of the places I went. I do use leaders, I think it was someone else that said they dont