What size rod do you prefer for pike?

Breach

Welcome back to fishing and welcome to OFC. I do not fish for pike often but concur with Mike's suggestion, 7ft Medium. If storage and travel is not an issue, go for a one piece. Line... I prefer 30 lb braid and a leader, I like the slightly larger diameter of the 30 vs 20, doesn't seem to cut into the spool as much.

Bly I said medium heavy but like you I use 30 lb braid (Stren Super Braid 9lb diameter)

I hate to use leaders sometimes I get lucky the pike hooked deep but the braid is freyed but does not always get cut if that was mono say good bye to the fish .

Oh and Bly uses a fish magnet there is also one vey lucky horshoe in her tackle box.

Yes I am jealous because I haven't caught my first Muskie yet :Gonefishing:

Bly I said medium heavy but like you I use 30 lb braid (Stren Super Braid 9lb diameter)

I hate to use leaders sometimes I get lucky the pike hooked deep but the braid is freyed but does not always get cut if that was mono say good bye to the fish .

Oh and Bly uses a fish magnet there is also one vey lucky horshoe in her tackle box.

Yes I am jealous because I haven't caught my first Muskie yet :Gonefishing:

Sorry about that Mike, meant to type medium heavy :blush: The leader, well a girl has to hide the fish magnet somewhere LOL

I bought this rod at the spring fishing show and it is awesome for pike. It is not the cheapest rod but if you are not in a big hurry you can wait until the spring sale and get it for 30$ off. I recommend the BPS XTREME I got the 7'6" medium-heavy extra fast tip. If you have never used a 7'6" rod you will notice that you get much farther casting distance. The handle type would be personal preference. If you already have a reel I would buy some 50lb Power Pro.

Hope this helps,

Corey

Edited by Mistyjr1

what kind of pike are you catching? 24" hammer handle is a different animal from a 36"+ fish. A 7' MH should do ya just fine. Like Corey said the, the extra length on the 7'6" is nice provided you have a way of transporting it (unless you go 2pc).

Edited by Raf

my go to everyday rod is a 7 foot med action Fenwick I have had for years,trick is have a reel with a super smooth drag. This is my favorite combo for fishing with spinner baits that are fairly light so I can still get decent casting distance,using baits like husky jerks, and for jigging pike in deeper water. However sometimes when I know I am fishing an area that holds lots of bigger fish(average up to 3 footers with fish in the 40's possible), and for example I am using a big float/chub combo,or musky sized baits I will use my 8 footer heavy action rod. The heavier rod also comes in handy when fishing heavy weedcover to help horse the big ones out of the weeds or bring them up top really quick so there is less of a chance of them dogging it on ya into the weeds. I probably however actually use my lighter set up alot more as come the colder months I fish a couple places where "finesse fishing" the pike with jigs is the most effective method to get them.

Really depends on the size of the pike, but I run a 7ft MH St.Croix along with a Shimano Calais 200 and 30lb Suffix braid.

If there is a chance I might tie into a really big fish, I'll use my '8 Shimano Compre Muskie setup along with a Abu Garcia Record60 +80lb PPro.

I have also used spinning rods for pike in the past, Raf nailed it, lighter rod might be ok for smaller fish but if you want to land them, not watch them swim away use a heavier action rod. For most pike fishing a medium heavy is ok.

Nothing wrong with ugly stick rods, not really my first choice but serviceable. I also favor a longer rod 6'6" to 7'6". If I am was just fishing for pike or ski`s a steel leader or maybe floro would be on.

I actually just got an 8'6 Daiwa Salmon/Steelhead rod but was thinking that it was a bit overkill for the pike Id be going after in my lake, Lake Vernon. Ive never hooked into any pike that was over 10-15lbs there, and I usually only have a 6 footer with me. My current "main" rod is a Fenwick Canadian Methods 6 footer, light action. I like it for the sensitivity for jigging and such, but Id never throw a big spoon on it and try to land some pike. As for the baitcaster, I am TERRIBLE with one.

Edited by Breach

Well just to add my 3 cents...(inflation it's a carp...lol) I use an Okuma 6'6" Medium one piece with 2o lb power pro. I also have a 6'6" Clarus Med-heavy. They are both the same feel and I've got 40" Pike on both with no problem. Both rods are spinning. But it is all about presonal preference and feel. each of my rods were around a 100 bucks.

I concur, and use, as most do here. 7 foot medium-heavy fast tip, 20# pp and a reel with a good drag system. I would further getting a reel with decent line capacity. You'll find this combintion will allow you to cast farther, keeping the lure in the water longer, and thus your chances of hooking into a decent pike higher

I like to use 2 rods, one med/hvy baitcaster at least 7' long, and one med/hvy spinning rod both spooled with braid of some kind.

The baitcaster is the primary go to rod, the spinning rod is used to throw lighter baits, primarily salmon flutter spoons and smaller floating stickbaits.

The flutter spoons kick butt, they're fantastic for working and fluttering along the top of submerged vegetation. No other spoon can do what these spoons can do pike fishing.

Lot's of wicked colours that pike like as well :) .

It's impossible to fish these lures effectively with a baitcaster IMO, thus the need for a spinning rod.

I like 7.6-8 foot bass MH flipping rods, it's always a matter of just matching the rod to the lure weight you'll be using really, but the pike in my avatar was walleye fishing with a 6' medium light jigging rod and 8lbs test last September, so if you can hook them in the corner of the lip and have your drag set good anything can do, but if your tossing 2-3oz spoons you would have to match the rod to the lures. All around I think a MH is best for average pike lures.

Edited by GbayGiant