Head Lake

B Diddy

Hi all....taking the family (Wife & 2 boys 8 & 10) out for a days fishing tomorrow. Was thinking of Head Lake out by Norland, but with the weather looking iffy I thought about maybe staying a little closer to home & trying Lake St. John. Does anyone have any info on these lakes? We have been hitting Simcoe a bit this year but am tired of ending up perch fishing. Told the buddies we're going for some real fish tomorrow :thumbsup_anim: Of course if someone is willing to share their Simcoe secrets that's even closer yet. We just can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance

Bill

I've always found L St. John very predictable and have always done well there. Pretty much a big bowl with weeds around the perimeter of the whole Lake. Pike up to 10 lbs a possibility. Having said that, I would choose Head Lake. Likely less company due to lousy boat launch, great variety of structure to fish and a pretty good shot at a musky, and lots of smallmouth.

Hi Guys....ended up hitting St John for a couple hours before the rain got too bad & the wife & kids had enough. Managed a decent bass & a hammer handle pike. Scared up a couple follows & that was about it. The kids are ready to get into some bigger fish now for sure so hopefully I can get them out for some good bass fishing.

I would sure love to figure out simcoe a bit. Is the lake usually tough or do we just have aweful luck. It's a very convenient location for us to hit

Bill