Fishing the circuit in Myrtle Beach

Big Cliff

Jan. 15... 74 Deg.F... wind light out of the East.... sunny with a bit of light cloud.

Lunch packed, Sue drops me off at the pier about 9 am.....ahhhhh it's going to be a good day.

Met up with a couple of people from my previous venture, and it didn't take long before I had a line in the water and the action started. First up a skate about 5-6 lbs. (sort of looks a bit like a sting ray), they tell me they are good eating but I was on a C&R mission. Next, a horse shoe crab (guessing about 5 lbs), ugly...A spiney dog fish 8 lbs, (looks like a shark but has white spots and barbs in the fins), a blue crab, about 1 lb, he had clamped on to my bait and didn't let go until I set him down on the pier.A black tip shark about 6 lbs, several small crokers, and a sugar perch. Oh, and a salt water eel, probably about 3-4 lbs. One of the fellows I was fishing with asked if he could have it, apparently they are excellent eating. (I have pictures of all of these that I'll post when I get home)

Anyway, by the time Sue came back to get me about 2:30 I have to admit, I was ready to call it a day, it had been pretty much non stop action (and they called this a slow day LOL.), Final count for the day..... I have no idea. Several Skate, sharks, and spiney dog fish, a nice tan with a bit of wind burn, and a bunch of really nice fishing buddies. It doesn't get much better than that (except when I looked at the weather you guys had yesterday).

Glad to be on a pier in Myrtle Beach! :Gonefishing:

Sounds like great fun Cliff. Nothin' like sitting on a pier with a few gweeches, drinks and line in the water wondering what's going to come out of the water next. Good way to meet new buddies too.

J...

hi Cliff

TH here

When I was working and playing hockey a few years back the hockey team would go there in late March for a week of golf. I had the opportunity to spend a day at Merrals Inlet(SP) for beer and a feed of sea food Have you been there yet

I know you're havin' a great time Cliff, I love to fish the ocean piers too! There's a certain comraderie among pier fishermen, most are willing to helpout anybody fishin' on the pier, young or old.

It sounds like you have quite the "trashcan slam" goin' there! Those Croakers you're catchin' are about the best eatin' out of all the fish you've caught, with the American Ell comin' in at a close second. I believe the Spiny Dogfish you described is actually the Oyster Toadfish... one of the fugliest creatures in the sea!

com_oystertoad.gif oystert.jpg

... but they're all fun to catch!

Beans, there is quite a difference in an Atlantic Croaker and a White Grunt... and the table quality of the Croaker is far superior to the Grunt!

croaker.jpg grunwhit.jpg

Morning all!

Crokers and grunts sure are two different fish, most of the guys here tell me that the crokers are excellent eating but very boney, they use them for cut bait a lot and prefer to keep sugar pearch for eating (they look almost the same, silver, but the croker has a mouth more lick a carp.

GCD, the spiney dog fish actually looks like a shark, same shape, a lot of people seem to confuse the two (I sure did at first). The spiney dog fish however has white spots running the length of it side like a lateral line and has those barbs (much like a cat fish) at it's fins.

Proboat, haven't been there yet but might get to try it next week, any place special you can recommend?

Joey, Beans, from the sound of the weather reports up there (-23 C in Lindsay this morning)now might be a good time to head South......) I know I'm not heading North for as long as I can hold out LOL.

pikehunter, john, whopper, I have only been pier fishing twice before but this is one of the most fun trips I have ever had, much like ice fishing up North, everyone helps each other, and about two minutes after getting there people are coming over and introducing themselves..... I have meet some really neat people since I arrived. This is somrthing I will do again every chance I get and I'd recommend it to anyone.

By the way whopper, thanks again for the PM and your very generous offer, very kind of you and much appreciated!

No charters yet Maureen but Gord doesn't get here until Sunday so we will probably book something for Tuesday or Wed. depending on the weather. Jf it looks like it will be too rough I just might introduce him to pier fishing too LOL.

Keep warm, be safe!