First Time Salmon Fishing Rod/Reel Combo

ozaibak1

Hello all, I'd like to get in some salmon fishing this fall, and being a novice would appreciate any help I can get. I'm looking for a quality yet economical rod and reel combo from a place like BPS or LeBaron's. Any recommendations on the size of rod, brand, and also the reel for under $100?

I think I'm gonna use spoons off of piers, what are your three favorites? Also, what line (strength and brand) would you recommend. I'm thinking of trying Ashbridges Bay or the Rouge River early in the morning, maybe in a week or two have salmon started appearing there?

Thanks a lot for any help, I hope to hook into a nice one this year! Fishin for bass is nice but would like to try another species.

Bass Killer, I just got into Salmonoids recently as well, so by no means am I an acreditted source. I don't have a specific Salmon rod, I use a 7foot med-heavy fast action with a spinning outfit that'll hold alot of line. It suits me well enough for now. Best bet is to get yourself a 9'6" rod for getting the baits out there.

I like 20 # power pro for the low diameter and strength.

Check out my post on skein rigging. Lots of good replies and info for ya there bud.

I find longer rods are a good choice as it simply helps you cast farther, but make sure you get one with enough backbone for the fight. I too have just started fishing for river salmon in the last couple years so I don't have any specific recommendations for you. If you talk to someone who works at either of those places they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I have a Shimano 9'6" IM7 blank and a med sized Daiwa reel - neither of them very expensive, very middle ground. Can't remember their names (i'm at work :) )

Of course, they cost ME nothing, since I fished them out while peer fishing one night (evidently someone had been salmon fishing earlier the same day & forgot to keep an eye on their rod.... :clapping: ) ... As long as you have a good medium action rod, with reasonable backbone and fairly sensitive tip, you're in the right ballpark. The extra backbone is good when casting long distances.

Trilene XT 14 or 17 is all I use, depending on how I feel. Yeehaa!

Lures... I like little cleos the best. Glow in the dark if you are fishing at night. This early in the season, don't forget to bring some floats and roe.

I expect an early run this year, thanks to all the rain we had this summer. So my bet is that they are in or staging at most locations.

If you think you might get into Steelhead or brown trout fishing later on, but not sure if you want to spend on an extra rod, then consider a longer rod than 9'6". It might be a little softer construction, but all that means is that you'll have to play fish longer & not reef on them too hard!

Good luck!

p.-

Edited by Paulus

I use a Shimano Convergence CVS-L100M-2 paired with a Daiwa Regal 3500-4i series spinning reel.

The rod is 10' long and rated for 8-17lb line, 1/4 - 1oz lure. The butt of this rod is quite long so I modified it by cutting about 2.5" off.

This thing throws 3/4oz Cleo's and J-13's pretty far on 10-12lb test.

The rod was around $75 and the reel around $40 if I remember correctly.

Burt :)

For a quality rod at a reasonable price since they stopped making the Shakespeare Catera you can't beat a Shimano Convergence 10ft, you can use this rod to chuck spoons all day and also use it for bottom fishing off piers or even in the lake from shore. In a pinch it will work as a float rod especially off of a pier once the bows follow the salmon in.

A perfect reel for it is a Pflueger President 6740. At Lebarons the combo will be about 110 or so. If you are going to be doing a ton of casting check out that reel over the others mentioned they will feel like you are grinding silverware in a garbage disposal in comparison. The 6740 will also hold about 250 yds of 8lb XT which will come in handy if you get a boot on.

Is a 2500 series Stradic too small a reel for pier fishing? Will I get spooled if I have one on a 9ft rod?

You be amazed at the sheer power of a king in open water.

Depends what #lb test you are running, Try 20 lb braid I believe the dia @ 6 lb dia. mono?

My spinning outfit is a 4000 Sustain with 20 lb braid.

Jose

Is a 2500 series Stradic too small a reel for pier fishing? Will I get spooled if I have one on a 9ft rod?

the 2500 size reels don't hold a lot of line... you'd be pushing your luck with that one... you'd be safer with a 4000 series reel. not saying you can't land one with a 2500... but those fish can take 100 feet of line in seconds...

What pound test are you running on the Stradic?

probably going to run 20 lb power pro on it.

You be amazed at the sheer power of a king in open water.

Depends what #lb test you are running, Try 20 lb braid I believe the dia @ 6 lb dia. mono?

My spinning outfit is a 4000 Sustain with 20 lb braid.

Jose

my friend got spooled once. he had a pretty dinky rod though. i thought maybe with a 9 footer you could get away with a 2500 Stradic. i don't think i'm going to chance it.

the 2500 size reels don't hold a lot of line... you'd be pushing your luck with that one... you'd be safer with a 4000 series reel. not saying you can't land one with a 2500... but those fish can take 100 feet of line in seconds...

i agree. i'm not going to take the risk. you go out there, finally hook into one and then it takes all your line. plus having a fish swim away with a $3 or $4 spoon plus $20 worth of line is pricey.

Hello all, I'd like to get in some salmon fishing this fall, and being a novice would appreciate any help I can get. I'm looking for a quality yet economical rod and reel combo from a place like BPS or LeBaron's. Any recommendations on the size of rod, brand, and also the reel for under $100?

8'6" Ugly Stik

Mitchell 300

200m+ 20lb Tuf-Line (same Spectra braid as Power Pro, 1/3 cheaper)

Bulk Pete's Spoons from Bronte Outdoors (sells them out of plastic totes, cheaper than commercial glo's)

That's about as cheap a setup as you can get without compromising. If your budget does get bumped up a bit lean more towards a better reel than rod.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on rod length. Length doesn't matter as much as action & rating, you want a faster action with a stiffer butt and rated to atleast 20lb./1oz. You can fling a 5/8oz. spoon better on an outfit matched to it's weight than simply overloading a lighter weight rod with the biggest spoon you can find. Plus retrieving with a stiffer rod is a lot less tiring, better hooksets......

When does salmon shore fishing end? Im also thinking about picking up a rig and trying my hand at it. Aside from the rod & reel, what do I need to have with me? Big shore net and waders?

Salmon are just the appeteaser.... What you really want so you get your money's worth with steelhead gear is to wait for the bows to follow the salmon run and that lasts right up until the water hardens and you hear that clink rattle rattle when you cast out in the dark. It also restarts the minutes you can cast between the icebergs during break up. Last year where we fish we had a total of 7 weekends from Sept 2 until opening day in April when we couldn't find open water within a 40 minute drive.... For clarification those 7 weekends were not in a row either. 2 were in January then five were late February and early March. Best two days I had though were Christmas and Boxing day LOL.

So enjoy your new gear!!!

Edited by Canuck2fan