Help me set up our fishing trip!

myst

Hi, I have been mostly lurking on this forum for the past couple of years and don't post that often. Me and 5 of my buddies are planning on going to a lodge on the weekend of the 19th. Last year we rented a cabin on Nippissing and in 3 days of fishing we only ended up with 6 or 7 pike. That's probably because we suck at fishing and still have much to learn.

We'd like to fish for bass, pike and walleye, can anyone recommend a place we can go where we are pretty likely to catch more fish? Preferably within 3 hours of the Ottawa area.

Last year we went around the same time, is the bite slow at this time of year?

Thanks!

Naw you don't suck at fishing. General rule, the further north you go from an imaginary drawn across from North Bay to Sudbury, the better. A lodge far away from any town is nice. A lake with no road access is very good. A lake with no one else fishing it is best, don't forget to also ask about native fishing pressure. There is something to be said for flyins. The more fishing pressure a lake gets the harder it is to fish. Guys with boats and trailers from Toronto don't generally want to drive 8 hours north and spend the last 20 miles on crappy dirt roads.

2nd general rule, late spring-early summer, is the best time to go.

Edited by scuro