Skein rigging

Reef Runner

Dont feel too bad reefrunner, I thought Salmon skein was just a membrane holding the eggs untill solopadler helped out explaining what it was. I was seriously going to keep the membrane and put it on the hook and fish like that.

So Solopadler thank you for the explanation, never really thanked you in that tread, you explained a lot to me.

At least now i know what it is.

I agree as I was/am in the same boat and learning as well. So I posted what I found about it. But now I have found a few MORE bit's of info here: sekin how to this may help some.

Thanks to all that have posted valued info in this thread too! Cheers.

Geoff

A lot of fish that are egg scatterers eat thier own eggs. In the case of salmon any eggs floating down stream have not settled onto the bottom where they need to be to hatch. So it makes sense for the fish to eat them. Better them than another fish since the eggs aren't going to hatch anyway. They do still need energy to complete their life cycle I know that in the case of the salmon here they don't reproduce sucessfully but the same instincts still apply.

fresh skein can be key.about 15 yr ago one of my first outings to bronte at rebecca st bridge 1st week of sept a few guys had caught a salmon and gutted it and used the fresh skein almost golf ball size chunks but used some spider wire to keep it on the hook.anyways they banged off 5 bows in a row.also in the river i,ll use a worm off the bottom non floating dont get as many bites as everybody thats floating off bottom but ninety percent of the time i get one its a female in the mouth and they do peck at it.also in the river i stay pretty close to the bank instead of the middle of the river the fish will circle and alot hold close to the banks they have a path that the majority of fish will follow.hope this is helpful

No other reason makes sense to me, since all the expert muckity mucks on here will tell you in no uncertain terms NO salmon EVER "eats" anything once it comes into the river.....

Every salmon I've ever kept from a river had eggs in it's gut. Their stomachs get strange, they seem to shrink and the stomach walls get really thick once they start getting dark so I don't think they can get any nutrients out of them. Aggression, instinct, I dunno why; I just know they'll hit properly presented eggs.

fresh skein can be key.about 15 yr ago one of my first outings to bronte at rebecca st bridge 1st week of sept a few guys had caught a salmon and gutted it and used the fresh skein almost golf ball size chunks but used some spider wire to keep it on the hook.anyways they banged off 5 bows in a row.

Heh, was probably me. I used to be one of the big skein fiends down at Rebecca. Some fun all nighters down there before the new bridge went in, used to ding all sorts down there at night, bows, some HUGE browns, even caught lakers.

I used to just dry the skein off and let it sit in the fridge on some newspaper for a day to suck up all the excess moisture (was gloriously single back then :D ), then quarter it up into small hunks, douse the 3 or 4 hunks of skein with Borax (be sure to get it in all the crevices!), then into tupperware and into the freezer.

Grab one of the containers, head down to the river and use smaller scissors to cut a hunk off to fish with. Some days they want bigger pieces, some days smaller.