Cross Canada Trip Part one, Ontario

huntervasili

Alright so, for those of you who may not be aware I recently left my home in Ontario to go to school at the University of Northern British Columbia in Prince George BC for Wildlife and Fisheries. The trip began on the 21st of August a little late at 11am. Car loaded up and myself and my friend Peter, who would be keeping me company on the way, headed out. Our plan was to stay in the Soo for the first night but after some troubles with reservations and border crossings we decided to continue driving and before we knew it we were at the big Canada Goose in Wawa.

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

So we continued up the road and spent the night, and awoke in the morning, hopped in the car and trekked further into the North. We made our way out again with a slightly late start and ended up on the Nipigon R and fished for an hour or so. Unfortunately we ran out of light and had to get back and cover a few more KM's... not much luck on the river, I was flyfishing and the winds were horrible, making it near impossible to cast. We did see a few and had the odd hit but nothing landed.

A few scenery shots though!

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00471.jpg

The next day we ended up driving to Dryden and had planned to fish LOTW or a nearby lake. We ended up staying at Stanley`s West Arm Resort and got out for about an hour before nightfall and some really nasty weather. Apparently the successful method that week had been lindy rigs with minnows but I figured we would attempt to troll some nice big BOQ lures: Manns strech 30`s some big deep diving raps and sure enough we, let me rephraise Peter slaughtered em. He had never fished for walleye nor had he caught one before so I figured great we can cross one more fish off his list. First troll down the lake and Bam fish on. Peter had one nail the firetiger Manns and he sure enough brought in a nice 4 or so lber. (No camera as I figured we wouldn`t get much time or have too much luck) I net the fish and tell him to hold my rod while I unhook the fish. We all know where this goes... no sooner had I unhooked the fish and turned to him to let him release it did he slam yet another. Toss Mr walleye back and while he brings in the next one I let out the other line. Another nice walleye around 3 or so Lbs. So I unhook and he releases and we run back up to the top of our drift and troll back down. Peter says he feels a tap on his line. I say don`t move it... WHAM another. We get it in and unbelievable the exact same occurance happens while I unhook his fish. I couldn`t get one that evening yet he ended up with 5. Begginers luck I suppose, and a lucky hand. The next day we woke up nice and groggy from the case of beer the night before, and as such got a late start. I won`t be too in depth here I will just post the pics from the morning. I finally have some luck!

DSC00472.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

Ohh and a Glen Shot!

DSC00480.jpg

The attempted release shots!

DSC00483.jpg

Ohh and now I try to have some skill and catch the swimming 'eye, unsuccessfully.

DSC00484.jpg

He was fine he just didnt want to co-operate for that pic.

And my 40" piker on the way in

DSC00488.jpg

Overall a great day. We caught a few more eyes and pike but didn't take pics of all of them. Very enjoyable and we had a great meal for lunch.

This was the end of my fishing in Ontario for a while and we got on the road and headed to Winnipeg... ... ...

The rest is going to come soon, I have to head out now to go "STUDY" Life on res can be tough I tell ya!

Stay tuned for part 2!